The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New life for 381! 4yr anniversary, Teins done, Simulated 430hp on Evo ECU

324vr4

^^^^Man, great job on the front end...and the motor at that....time for car shows and racing around the town...congrats!

1gnasty

Quoting wantavr4:
"Not a fan."

FREE+HUGE=AWESOME

Shooting for 400+@19psi with this turbo and my setup. That good enough for me as my DD!!!

with that turbo u are going to need alot more boost than that to make 400hp

381gvr4

^^^ Have come damn close on previous setups. Tuned @22psi for haha's UNTIL........ turbo greneded!!!!! Sent it to a well known, good standing company and I'm waiting to hear back on what they are going to do. Tons of oil and debris but none on the cold side of I/C. She did spin all 4 at 20mph when floored in 1st!!!! Good enough for me.
It ran awesome the miles I did get to put on her!!! Can't wait to have it up again.

Guess she decided tdo5h 20g was too small for her, so she ate it!!!

HOPING to get some $$$ back and buy another turbo. She sits until then.
I currently own 3 turbo vehicles, have had others, all buddies with turbo cars and I've never seen this!!!!!!!!!

When I tried to take off intake pipe, compressor was only attached with WG actuator. As with what I've heard with these turbos, I don't believe the snap ring was ever properly put on and BOOM!!!!

Will give update and company name if they screw me out of the money I spent!!!

4Grim

Holy.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

That is the 1st I have ever seen a turbo spun to distruction.

381gvr4

Just walked by 381 and she said "Ummm... 20g's are yummy!!!"

Luke

Quoting wantavr4:

Yup, it's wrinkle. The secret is the prep!!! I did one on the old motor and thought it wouldn't last but is SUPER durable. Also, use a paint prep product to ensure good adhesion.
Then I used a sanding block to hit the letters for a brushed look.

Which brand spray paint did you use for the wrinkle paint ? The brushed look on the raised letters/numbers is a very very nice touch indeed.

IncorpoRatedX

I have a wrinkle valve cover on my 2g. like others said, its in the prep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

381gvr4

Well...... I blew up the 20g at the end of May. Now Sept.6th shes back and running!!!! A few weeks ago I started setting some plans in motion. I'm trying to piece together all the little things and fix some eye sores on the car.

So.... about 2 weeks ago I located a used 30r and thats when the work began. I was able to locate little tabs and interior screw plugs needed, along with ds a-pilar, ds dogleg, tail light and ofcoarse the turbo to get the car closer to where I want it. Spent the previous w/e washing, buffing and waxing. Paint came out really good for its age.

Heres some more pics of 381.....

I hated seeing white paint thru the undercoating so I cleaned and painted.

Frt Dogleg with that "vintage" paint...(thanks GW)

My new to me 30r after my OCD attack!!!

Had a gap between my I/C piping and turbo. Tried for hours to locate 2" SS and a 90* SS elbow with no avail. I need 6" and the shortest I could find was 5' special order craziness!!!! Not super happy with the double coupler setup, but it holds boost and she IS back on the road!!

Last edited:

324vr4

That there new turbo looks FAR better than the shotty 20g....You may need some paper towels now when trying her out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Looks great by the way...very clean and your charge pipes look sharp! More updates!

381gvr4

She moves!!!!!! Hooked up the WB yesterday, turned the boost to 18 and put on about 35miles. The 38mm flapper works MINT w/ no spike(I was worried). Much better performance than the POS 20g. I'm guessing due to the snap ring not being locked, it had a boost leak causing the turbo to overwork for 22 psi and that caused its demise. Happy now. Not too keen on using a used turbo, but has low milage and seems to be good. New build now has about 150 miles on it.

Next is detailing the interior and buying the leatherique kit to restore the leather. Try to find a 4bolt. Unsure if I want to keep the 4WS with the 4bolt but I'm junking the ABS without a doubt. My 4WS system is still in great shape and blows peoples minds that this OG car has 4WS. Plus I'm a oem/original guy, so I'd like to retain its uniqueness. I dunno......

What do you think so far???

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Looks good! get rid of that fram filter before you hurt yourself.

first pic looks like an OEM Mitsu. filter to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

381gvr4

Had a fram on there for 100mile break-in. Do a 5min run, drain and fill, 100 mile oil/filter change and a 500mile oil/filter change on new motors. Mitsu after 500 miles. Thanks for looking out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

DR1665

Awesome project. Well done, man.

That turbo looks mint under the hood as does everything, im sure it will last a long long time. I wish i had the time to paint wheel wells and such. Pretty slick ss AN line setup you got going for the coolant lines on that turbo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Looking forward to seeing what it can do now.

381gvr4

Thanks Ryan. I kept my stock t-stat housing, took the AN fitting off the coolant line, used shrink tube to prevent freying and slipped it onto the stock location. Little more low profile and didn't have to swap t-stat housings.

Have aprox 180miles on the new motor and 35 or so on the Gt3076r. I'm very happy with performance and glad I went with the 9.0:1 pistons. She has much more JUICE than a stock motor.

Have been using a mechanical oil pressure gauge, which currently sits under my DS wiper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The line rubbed on the crank pulley putting a pinhole fountain and frying my alternator. Smelled some oil and knock sum gauge was going crazy. Brought here home, fixed the leak, tested the voltage which was 11.1v, causing weak spark and hence no performance. Swapped out with a new one a kid I know had laying around and she back to normal. PITA!!!! Yet ANOTHER new part. The alt. was one of the few original things left.

Also, I finally found a vr1 Greddy oil gauge. It ended up being a warning gauge. After being discontinued for 3yrs or so, I was lucky to find one new. Plus its been sitting on their shelf for several years, I got a killa deal.

Lastly, I started cleaning the interior. Cleaned the leather and conditioned. Laughed to myself on how hard the back of the rear headrests were. JERKY anyone????? Will post interior pics after I take out the front seats and shampoo the carpet and headliner. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

ApexHunter

This project is inspiring! I'm stoked on the reconditioning you've given the car...the wheel well repainting is sweet. Hopefully you can bring the leather back some, mine ain't so nice either. What kind of radiator is that? How do you like that turbo? I've been thinking i'd like to do the 3071 or 3076 but yours is the first i've seen with mitsubishi housings. Any idea where it came from? I guess i need to hit the DSM boards some more. Awesome work so far man keep going.

381gvr4

This pig is getting to me!!! I'm trying to get ALL bugs worked out so I can DD her and sell my WRX wagon(will miss the hatch area) BUT she keeps causing problems!!!! Yesterday it was the alternator, today spots on the driveway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif!!! I really am becoming OCD with age. Also, everything is new so I want no maint. for 30K or so. Jacked her up and cleaned her off. Noticed gear oil from the bell housing. Now the tranny is all fresh with new seals so I'm kinda ticked. PLUS new throwout bearing is slightly touching the pressure plate when released SO........ tranny is coming out. Pulled the t-case first obviously and the input seal is new and fine(ofcoarse not the easy fix). The down fall is the input shaft seal on the tranny can only be replaced after trans is fully apart- not to mention cost for another non reusable kit!!!!!! Have to go thru emissions by Tuesday so I hope I can get the parts by Saturday and bang it out!!!!

Explain to me why I love cars?????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

As far as the radiator.... I'm not sure as it was in the car. Out of the six I looked at, this had the lowest milage 93K and the best all around mods that could be kept and reduce cost. Hood, i/c and piping, 2g mas w/ intake pipe, 3" exhaust(mild steel), socketed w/ keydiver ecu, Supra pump and ofcoarse its condition.

As far as the 3076r, it is slightly laggy. Not bad but its almost all or nothing. I think my gas milage will be great as you really have to go past half throttle to go into boost. Thanks for the kind words and good luck on your build!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned