The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

new here #1390. What to do first

pwvr41390

I'm looking to squeeze a little bit more power out of the 4g63. what would be good to do first? Boost controller? Intercooler kit? Fuel/ignition? Please help. 203k miles on car.

MellowVR4

First you want to get all of the maintenance out of the way, Check compression and stuff, make sure you have a good start. Once you do that, then you can start modding.

pwvr41390

When I got the car it was not drive able at all. Since then I've done brake lines,tune up,valve cover gasket, a bunch of exhaust work, fluids, tighten belts, every brake hose, and greasing caliper slides. The car is rusty but it runs great. I haven't checked compression. I'm just looking for more power now.

Kibby

Go over the body to check rust and determine whether its worth it before going faster. I should have invested in the body but I bought go fast parts first. No regerts thou lol.

Wookalar

Quoting pwvr41390:
When I got the car it was not drive able at all. Since then I've done brake lines,tune up,valve cover gasket, a bunch of exhaust work, fluids, tighten belts, every brake hose, and greasing caliper slides. The car is rusty but it runs great. I haven't checked compression. I'm just looking for more power now.

I always feel that timing belt, associated pullies, and water pump replacement are of high priority, as well as rubber parts. Engine mounts, radiator hoses, vacuum lines, bushings are all going to be shot at this point if they are originals.

You would be surprised how much of a difference new motor mounts makes in tidying up accel/decel slop. Any old rubber vac lines will likely have cracks in them that the naked eye cannot see. PCV valves should be replaced, and fuel filter. Probably lifters as well.

Once those are addressed, then look to power. Free up breathing with intake and exhaust, rewire fuel pump with thicker gauge wire is also a "free" basic mod.

www.vfaq.com is your friend. There is also dsmtuners that has a lot of drivetrain related info since the dsm and e39a gallant share the basic engine/drivetrain components, sans drive shaft which I believe is longer for the galant.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned