The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New build for 439/1000

Brianawd

Well been a long time. Got the motor in the car and just finished up every thing. Just need to add water and start it up. Happy its now done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Lets hope I don't have a repeat of last year /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

atc250r

Staff member
PICS?

I need to get started on my junker. I have to pull the motor and trans out of my old car and put it into my new shell. Then, once its running I'll swap the shitty cracked dashboard out along with the rest of the interior and put my GVR4 stuff in. You can be my motivation Brian. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John

Last edited:

NateCrisman

Good luck. pics when done!
Crossing your fingers for some 10's this season?

Terrance362

wow I hate that happened, nice build again..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif just about the same as me....I like those rods

Brianawd

Quote:
How did you overheat it?

Just like mark said. The shitty part is I did not know it was over heating tell it was way to late. Oh well sh*t happens right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

As for the car this year. I really don't know how much I am going to race. I may just kick back and enjoy the car. That way I don't f*** any thing up. Now that the car is back up and running I can start putting money into my house. Racing can take a back seat for the next year or so.

4thStroke

Those coolant lines scare me. My heater hose split on me a couple times before I could get it replaced. Luckily it didnt hurt the motor too bad. Makes me wonder if thats what fouled my valves, though. Might have coked the oil that was getting by the valve seals. What a PITA. I ended up ordering a complete hose kit from Jesse.

Did your motor go through a set of Grodens, and then you overheated it? The thread got a little confusing.

Even if you dont race, you should bring it by PIR anyways, Id love to check it out. You too, Mark.

Last edited:

turbowop

A full set of new coolant hoses is good preventative maintenance on these old cars.

One of the first things I did to 503 while I had it down for a new turbo was replace *all* of them. The ones down by the oil cooler were getting pretty swollen. I don't think they would have lasted much longer. Same goes for the throttle body hoses.

atc250r

Staff member
I agree with you Mark. All of those hoses (especially the little 3/8" ones) are all too often overlooked.

Its been like 3 years since I brought my car to the track. I had more fun just driving it than I would have had at the track and it didn't break the entire time.

John

Terrance362

wow I was going to go with groden for my build I guess I am going to rethink things......How does the motor rev can you tell a considerable difference.......Also I thought that groden would warrenty the rods ??????? So he lies about simple stuff.....Oh and and about your house I can agree "home is where the heart is" But you should still go to the events the car is too nice...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

4thStroke

English built a 1000+ awhp Evo with Groden rods. Like anything else, a bad batch will fall into someones car. Its unfortunate. I dont know if Groden has this repuatation or not, but some peple have gotten them to work.

Brianawd

Quote:
Did your motor go through a set of Grodens, and then you overheated it? The thread got a little confusing.

No, car over heated so I pulled it a part for a rebuild. When I went to torque the rod bolts the threads pulled out of the grodens. They had less then 5k on them. Groden told me to kick rocks because his rods never strip the treads out. So after that I picked up a set of GRP'S from Jesse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
wow I was going to go with groden for my build I guess I am going to rethink things......How does the motor rev can you tell a considerable difference.......Also I thought that groden would warrenty the rods ??????? So he lies about simple stuff.....Oh and and about your house I can agree "home is where the heart is" But you should still go to the events the car is too nice......

Stay away from the groden rods. If you really want to build a aluminum rod motor go with GRP,R&R or BME.
As for how fast the car revs. Yes you can tell a difference. I for the life of me can't stay off the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd. Even with my shift light going off at 8k I still hit the limiter thats set for 9k.

Oh good news the car is running. Just need to put the hood on the car and add some water wetter to it. Then its seat the rings time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brianawd

Well here is a pic. Looks the same as last year. Only change is the intake manifold.

Now comes the fun part of cleaning every thing. This winter was hard on the car. So power wash the outside and engine bay. Slap on new fenders and its good to go.

Brianawd

Cap was off because I just filled the cooling system. As for the bracket. I have know idea where its at. I have looked every where.

slugsgomoo

brian, I can't use my brackets anymore, and I'm sure I've still got 'em. I'll try to set them to the side and bring you one at HRR or something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/love.gif

I'd love to see you go out at least once this season and dip into the tens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek3x.gif

mitsuturbo

Quoting Brianawd:
Quote:
How did you overheat it?

Just like mark said. The shitty part is I did not know it was over heating tell it was way to late. Oh well sh*t happens right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I had that happen once. Blew a lower rad hose on the freeway at night and didn't see/smell/hear/feel anything amiss. Coolant gauge never rose. I knew something was wrong when the car started running like butt. Apparently when all the water drops, the coolant temp sensor isn't too good at telling you the air/steam left in the pipe is super hot. I knew something was wrong when the car lost power and started bucking. I pulled into a gas station and found out what was wrong pretty quick. Once i got it home and tore into it the next day, i found the head had gotten so hot it had melted the spark plug boots down into the holes. Engine was complete junk.

I was less than pleased.

Brianawd

Man is the car fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. That new manifold made a world of difference. The car just feels way more responsive and torque. Boost feels like it comes on 200-300rpm faster than last year(need to log it and see). Just cruising around in 3rd at 3k if I tap the gas the boost gauge jumps to 10-12psi instantly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif. I don't know why they ever stopped making that manifold /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts