The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

neutral safety switch?

Captn

Where is this thing?

My car isn't starting and I think I have it narrowed down to this switch.

I have a new starter
I have power
Fuses are good
Car doesn't even click when I try to start it

Any help?

mitsuturbo

follow the clutch pedal up.. there's a tab on it which depresses two switches.. one at the top, and one at the bottom of pedal travel
unplug the bottom one, and you've disabled the clutch cutout safety switch

Captn

So that wasn't it, I am thinking I have some electrical gremlins laughing at me somewhere.

Only thing I hear when I try to start the car is the fuel pump nothing else.

Anyone have a problem like this before?

toybreaker

iconoclast
there is some good info in this thread,

And, there is also this thread

good luck, and please post your progress/solution

thanks!

SouthCaliVR4

Many.

You need to start back tracking the system. Start with a test light at the starter signal wire. see if it lights up when you crank, is so starter is dead. so on till you make your way tho the ignition switch.

Do you still have the fact alarm, I don't recall if it had a starter interrupt but I think it did. Disabled mine years ago. anyway try locking and unlocking with the key on both doors as well as the trunk. one of the switches is bound to still work & disarm the system.

If you have an aftermarket alarm...

Also check all the fuses.

mitsuturbo

Check the small wire going to the starter. I believe it's black with yellow stripe. Single spade terminal. Also, i believe you can access this via the 3 contact plug, near the factory battery location. Two wires go to the reverse light switch. The black/yellow wire provides starter signal. If you put +12v to that wire, it should cause the starter to engage.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned