The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Starter Not Turning

Specter

My car has been sitting for 5 days. I was trying to start it today but the starter wont turnover, no work has been done on the car. There are no weird clicks or noises. The starter just wont budge. I guess there are no electric problems, as the car has been sitting for only 5 days. It might be the ignition switch but not sure. The car was fine before it was parked the last time i drove. Can any one guide me on how to jump start the starter from the battery? I do not want to do it myself and fry something. Also i read in other topics while i was searching is to smack the starter couple of times and it might work. So i will first try this and if it does not work then i will jump start it. So how can i jump start it? I guess i need to give positive current on the starter from the battery, but exactly where on it?

toybreaker

iconoclast
Be sure to check the little plastic button on the clutch pedal. If it's broken/missing, the clutch safety interlock/relay won't let the starter operate.

There's also a few good ideas in this thread, including a pic or two of some good places to check for power/signal to the starter.

Jumping the starter solenoid to crank the starter over on command can be done using the small black/yellow wire, accessible in the trianglular plug shown in one of the pics.

be sure the car is in neutral first!

Last edited:

JNR

Did you mention if the rest of the electrical is working...like your windows, lights, etc.?

I know if you don't have enough voltage, the starter won't turn, but *typically* you'd probably at least get a click or something, but not always...Had this problem in my chevelle with the battery in the trunk and header primary was

JackbNimble

Quoting toybreaker:
Be sure to check the little plastic button on the clutch pedal. If it's broken/missing, the clutch safety interlock/relay won't let the starter operate.

There's also a few good ideas in this thread, including a pic or two of some good places to check for power/signal to the starter.

Jumping the starter solenoid to crank the starter over on command can be done using the small black/yellow wire, accessible in the trianglular plug shown in one of the pics.

be sure the car is in neutral first!

^
This. I had that little rubber nub dry rot and fall out on my car. Took me the longest time to figure out why the damn thing wouldn't start.

Specter

The battery is fine, i checked it with a volt meter, it still has 12.5 volts. And yes every electrical thing is working, even the sound system. I am not so sure about the black/yellow wire because my cars wiring is not that good, that is why i asked how can i jump start it by touching a wire on the starter itself. I once saw a guy start his car this way but i am not sure how to do it and either to use the Positive or Negative terminal from the battery itself.

toybreaker

iconoclast

You don't really need to see the color of the wire. Just note the position of the release tab on the connector of the wire I posted in the pisture above, and check that wire. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you want a quick go/no go test, jumping positive battery voltage onto the mate of this ^^^connector^^^ is the easiest way to "jump" the system. Note it's position in the connector, and jump the mate to this connector using an alligator clip on the end of a wire. **I would be leary of doing this, as the current required to pull the starter solenoid in to actuate the starter motor is pretty large, and you may damage the pin in the connector. (once would probably be okay, but I wouldn't make a habit of it)

The hard way to "jump" things is to unplug that wire at the starter, then plug another wire onto the small connector, and then touch that to the positive terminal on the battery.

If you're feeling brave, you can also just short accross from the positive starter feed wire from the battery to the small terminal with a small screwdriver, but there's gonna be sparks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Make absolutely sure the car is in neutral before doing this!!!

Here's a pic of the whole starter sub-harness to give you an idea of what you're working with.

Good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Specter

^^ Thanks, i will try first to jump it from the connector, if nothing works, then i will jump the starter directly itself.

Specter

Its solved! I first started to rewire the hacked connections on the starter wiring, and after that i started to check for positive and negative volts on the connection, apparently one 12v+ wire had a broken connection, i installed a new wire and the car started right up. Thanks for all the help guys!

toybreaker

iconoclast
Well done, Amar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts