The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Motor Removal Question

CarRacer

I'm all set to remove the engine in 83/2000. I have everything except the transfer case, one axle, and the exhaust taken off.

I was told the tranny needs to come off as well. From my survey of the bay, I don't think I need too. There seems to be enough clearance, and even more if I tilt the motor.

Thoughts?

Also, I removed the stock lift point near the PS pump. What are good alternate chain points, considering tranny or not.

JSchleim18

I was able to pull the motor out with the tranny still intact. Even put it in that way. Just pull the timing belt side of the motor up a little bit first and kind of shimmy the tranny away from the frame of the car. I hope you have a friend helping you out because that helps a ton for guiding the motor out.

BoostedAWD91

u dont need to take the tranny off the remove the engine. U just need to hook up the chain so most of the slack is on the timing belt side so that engine comes up first and at a angle to slide the tranny out. Its very easy as long as u have one person jacking the hoist and another guiding the engine

mitsuturbo

I've always pulled the transmission first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif It's like an extra 5-10 minutes and saves a ton of headache. It's going to have to be separated anyway.

fivestardsm

^^+1

Also, as for the lifting point on the drivers side, I used to put the chain on one of the 2 studs that the Dr. side motor mount sits on.. you know, the one above the power steering! Although, with the extra weight of the trans being left on, this might be a little much weight. You might want to asess that for your self. I dont do that anymore because I made a lifting mount out of an old Mount that I cut up.

You might be able to run a second peice of chain up from the backside to help on the load tho, which would take part of the weight off the single stud, or make up a plate that you can bolt onto both of the studs that you can hook to. Do you weld? and Do you have a junk mount?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

JSchleim18

Quoting fivestardsm:
I used to put the chain on one of the 2 studs that the Dr. side motor mount sits on.. you know, the one above the power steering

That's the one I used as well while lifting the motor out with the tranny so it will hold up to the weight.

Last edited:

Terry Posten

If you remove the rear power steering lines that route above the tranny and the motor/trans can come straight out and can go back in straight.

I leave the AC, and power steering pumps in the car, pull the engine and tranny out together. I would never ever even waste my time pulling the trans out before.

Struc

+1 on Engine + Tranny.

Heck, it's simple in the GVR4. Try it on a 2G sometime - now that's a tight fit.

56/1000 just had the engine + tranny in and out recently. If the radiator is out, you have PLENTY of space to do whatever tilting you and manuvering you need to do. When I put mine back in, I had the full turbo setup bolted up, alternator, P/S Pump, v-belts all tightend, etc.

IMG_1729s.JPG

CarRacer

Radiator is already out. I don't have A/C, and I pulled the alternator and moved the PS aside.

I won't be able to attach the chain the the wrap around mount. I cut that off to mimic the 2G mount. I still have the turbo on, so using an exhaust stud is out.

I'll probably remove the PS mount bracket and use one of the studs near the balance shaft hump and loop the chain to a tranny bolt or the large corner intake studs.

when i removed my motor i got some heavy duty ratchet sraps and wraped them around the motor in enough places to support the motor even when it tilts. not the safest way but i puled the motor and tranny together by myself. wasnt all that difficult

Well I am about to swap my engine and this thread makes me wonder which is easier; pulling only the engine or pulling the engine and tranny together?

CarRacer

I removed and installed the motor with the transmission installed. I disconnected the clutch slave at the hard line to gain some clearance.

Other than that it was pretty easy to do with the tranny attached. I even dropped it in by myself like that.

paul j

How about an update on what bolt holes or pieces to attach a chain to engine for install. The bracket at ex manifold for that purpose is not on the engine. So where do you attach at front and back of engine that will not strip?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned