The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

engines do come out the bottom with the bonnet on

misterfixit

Hi all, i've been quiet here for a while, its been a busy few months but here is a sight every galant owner will know some time!

Yup. its an immobile galant on a trailer!
Had to get the bike legal and use that for a while, so i could do this..

Gutted the front half of the engine bay 9rad and anciliaries. Got the car on axle stands pulled the shields, pipe and shafts, then unbolted the engine&trans while hanging off the crane, brought it forward 3" then dropped it on a crawler (much easier to move about!). Used huge floor jack and lifted the car by the front subframe about 3' in the air and rolled the engine and trans out the front. The pictures were taken lunchtime before i put the motor back.

turned out in the end the balance belt let go and got caught in the main belt. 90degree timing shift and contact on all 16 valves. (happened on the outside lane of the motorway 80mph) so zero compression. had a spare motor i bought last year. thats gone in after a once over.

when it was all back together it prompted me to get off my ass and fit my towerbar, nice and tight at the front now, and the new motor is a peach.

Best bit is all with the bonnet still on! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich

Armitage

Wow, the location of most of the stuff along the firewall is COMPLETELY different from a LHD Galant. I don't even recognize some of those components!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned