The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

MMCD fuel logging problem

James

Ive been trying to get my low trims adjusted for cruising around but my car is just a big bitch and does everything possible to throw curve balls.

I have my SAFC2 points set like this

(PROBLEM1)
Now I sit in the parking lot car all warmed up and hold the idle at 1k RPMs. The low fuel trim (lft) goes to 112% so I adjust to something like +8% on the SAFC2 and it comes down around 100%. Now I move up to 2k and the lft jumps to 135% and no amound of adjusting brings in down...

(PROBLEM2)
Sometime the fuel trim will get locked into place. While adjusting it will just freeze on a number and not adjust anymore. Right now it's stuck on 110.4% no matter what rpm or what adjusting I do with the SAFC2.

I think problem2 (and maybe problem1) is related to my "hopefully phantom" knock. Sitting at a stop of I give it some throttle I will read between 10-40 counts of knock. When it get all this knock it adjusts the timin to crazy amounts. 20-30 degrees depending on the knocking... Obviously this has to have some effect on the ECU and fuel trimming

turbowop

I never adjusted mine by free-revving it at certain RPM's to dial in fuel trims. Like I said in the other thread where you asked about this, adjustment around 1k work well for low, 2k works for mid, and 3k and up for hi. Why it works well like this, I don't really know. But I've done it this way to both my cars and had fuel trims that always would hover around 100%.

Do it like that and drive around. If you see that your low trim needs adjustment, adjust the 1k setting. Don't worry about what it does while free-revving at 2k. That's not how you drive the car, so there is no need to adjust fuel for zero load at 2k rpm. If the mid or high trims are off, adjust them at 2k and 3k respectively.

Also, rather than having all the little adjustment points in the 3k range, use a couple down around 1k and then spread them out in increments of 500. It helps to dial in idle and the low trim better. So like:

Something like that.

As far as phantom knock goes...that's a bitch. The only way around that is with a custom chip that has been programmed to ignore it or use ECMlink and adjust the parameters at which the knock sensor picks up knock.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned