The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Looking into a VR4

Just thought I would post some update pics since I worked on the galant for a bit tonight. I got the O2 houseing and turbo installed. Connected all the oil and water lines to the turbo, except for the one that connects the oil line to head. I am missing the bolt for that one, does anyone know what size that bolt is and is that something I can get at autozone. I also decided to clean out the trunk and in doing so buried in the back I found my missing intercooler hose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Here are some pictures of my progress.

I have two questions for you guys now and I have pictures to accompany the questions. My first question is where does the hose that comes off of the blow off valve connect to? The hose in question is circled in red.

I found a hose towards the back of the motor that I can not figure out where it goes. Here is the picture I took of it the hose is circled in red.

If you guys want me to post any more pictures to help you help me I would be more than happy to. Thanks in advance for your help.

The BOV hose connects to the intake pipe.( recirculation hose)
The other hose looks to be one of the charcoal canister hose's. Not sure about that one from the pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
Hope this helps a little.

Last night I installed the exhaust manifold on the car. I got all the bolt for the manifold tightened down except for the one on the bottom, far right of the manifold. There isn't a hole lot of room to wrench on it. Does anyone have any tricks for that one or am I going to have to take the power steering pump off? Thanks for all the help so far.

381gvr4

^^^Pretty sure I had the same issue and moved the pump. 2 bolt behind pulley, 1 on left side a ps bracket(3 total onpump) and a couple bolts for bracket itself. Extra 15-20mins but makes life easier!! You're getting close to turning the key!!! Congrats

Last edited:

Hey guys a little update for you. I got everything put back together tonight. Then I tried to start it. At first it didn't want to go but after a few tries she fired right up. I let her run for a bit and she was running pretty good. Tomorrow I'm probably going to pick up some tires. Hopefully I can get plates on Saturday and maybe start driving it next week. Thanks for all the help and advice you guys have given me, I really appreciate it all.

I got tires today and threw those on. I drove around for a bit and she's running pretty good. There's still some old fuel in the tank so once that runs through I'm sure it will get better. 2nd gear is a little sticky but that may get better with use since it's been sitting for so long. She is a lot of fun to drive though and I would say so far this is a very good investment.

awesome! great to hear! just a heads up though, before you do too much driving, i would check EVERYTHING. change oil, coolant, check spark plugs, wires, tranny fluid, transfer case fluid, CV joints... lol, i didnt do that and now i'm almost done paying for a full engine rebuild

Last edited by a moderator:

DR1665

What Mike said.

There is a drain bolt in the bottom of the fuel tank on the driver's side. You can drain that nasty gas out before you go too far. Last time I worked on a GVR4 that had been sitting for a couple years, the sh*t in the gas tank clogged the pre-filter and killed a new Wally in less than ten miles. Lesson learned.

Congrats on saving one. More than a few of us really appreciate it. :thumbsup

The Galant has been running great but today when I went out to start it, it didn't want to turn. Every time I turned the key all I would get is a clicking sound. This has happened a few other time and I would hook up the batter charger and then it would start right up, but today no luck with the charger. I tested the voltage on the battery and I have 12.6 so I should be good there. I'm going to go out to the garage now and test the starter. If anyone has had a similar problem and would like to chime in with some advice I would appreciate that greatly. Thanks in advance.

I went out there and found the starter. It is a pain in the butt to get at. I couldn't really get at the wires to do electrical test but I thought I would try whacking the solenoid. So I got a really long extension and a hammer and whacked the solenoid a few times. I got back in the car turned the key and it fired right up. I'm thinking either the solenoid is going bad or it keeps freezing. It has been really cold and on the 3 coldest night this week I had starting issues on the one night that wasn't as cold it started fine. Also, I am probably going to replace the starter, what is the best way to get at it. Thanks in advance.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned