The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Looking for suggestions on a turbo

OK guys found some $$$ Lucky me. So I'm going to do a turbo swap thinking maybe a 20G or FP Green or A PTE SCM6031R?? I will NOT be running race gas only pump and I will be drining this on the street so something not to laggy..My mods are 650CC, Eprom ECU wiht STG3 ship, wally, Full 3 inch exhaust, 2nd gen mas with adapter, EVO front mount( Will be ETS maybe) and ACT 2600 clutch. Which everyway I go I will have it tuned with DSM link. Thanx guys.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Yea have been poking around a bit looked at the thread about the 20g.. But the question is what turbo will do 400WHP and is streetable.. :/

steve

OK, I'm moving this to the Newbies section now that there appears to be some actual question, and not just "Hi everyone I found $$$. Just letting you know." Also cleaning up the crap.

mac515 - Please concisely and clearly post your question so that people can help you.

curtis

first choose a good turbo and if your supporting mods don't fit change. 650's are for little turbos at big boost or medium size turbos on or around 18 to 21. As for 400 there's two ways to get there you can make 400 on low boost with a big turbo and the need to go faster is a boost adjustment away or get a medium frame and spin it up to get there.

For 400 on the small side I'd pick a s258 with a bullseye housing, Holset HX-35, Holset H1C or a GT-30R
For low boost and making close to the same power as these above spun up get a s362 or s366, HX-40, GT35R
The s366 hits the power band earlier than the smaller s362 but makes the same power

You can search on bullseye's website or you tube for the schwitzer extended tip turbos they work. The s362 I had was a monster.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

FP Green all the way. There's one for sale here

I Know the guy selling the FP green. I shot him a PM already. But are the 650's enough or do i need 780's??

turbowop

Back when I had an FPgreen, I ran 780's and they did fine up to 22psi or so. Past that I ran 110 octane which didn't require as much fuel so they worked up to 30psi. It was a great turbo. I went high 11's with it shifting pretty leisurely.

turbowop

No. High 11's @ 119mph in a full weight car on 18" wheels at 29psi using 110octane. Stock 130k mile bottom end. I've never dyno'd the car, so I'm not sure what power it puts to the ground.

This was back in '05. My car has gone through a lot of changes since then and I haven't run it at the track since.

Last edited:

Dialcaliper

If you're only running 650's, an FP 18g will easily max them out. With a decent tune, you should be able to push near 375-400 hp at the wheels on pump gas, but you'll be approaching 100% duty cycle on the 650cc injectors.

Looking around, it seems like a lot of people do one of two things:

1) Either they choose turbos much larger than they need with not enough fuel support, meaning that they end up wasting more money than necessary and suffering more lag than they need to, which could be spent on other things, especially including proper maintainance. Too much emphasis on "max power" without considering "power under the curve". Choosing a properly sized turbo for a given power level will result in a much more drivable car. Sometimes it's not a problem, and all you'll suffer is a bit more lag and your turbo won't spool up as soon. But more importantly, larger turbochargers are usually designed to operate more efficiently at much higher boost levels than most people intend to use.

2) Alternatively they use injectors way oversized for what their turbo is capable of. This isn't that harmful, as it allows you headroom especially if you have no problems compensating for the injector size. You're better off erring on the side of too much fuel.

Too many people choose their setup simply based on blind recommendations, and do not properly size things for their goals - If you're going to rely on advice you're better off doing so with some simple estimations that will actually get you close to what you need. Without getting into the really gritty stuff, an easy rule of thumb you can use is that for every lb/min a turbo can deliver, you can reasonably and conservatively tune 9-10.5 hp out of it (1 lb/min can be roughly estimated at 14.5 cfm). For example, an FP18g can deliver ~600cfm, or 41-42 lbs/min. This translates to about 375-440 hp with a properly sized intercooler, at a boost level between 20-25 psi

As far as sizing injectors goes, RC has a great calculator. Enter a base fuel pressure of 37 psi, .8 duty cycle and add a generous 60-80 hp of drivetrain loss (20-25% - not a very accurate number, but close enough for this kind of approximation). Use a BSFC of .50 to .55 - the .60-.65 is more typical of a *very* conservative tune like those found on factory turbo engines.

throughfaith323

Quote:
FP Green all the way. There's one for sale here

what Adrian said!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thanks for looking out as usual Adrian.

PM'd you back Mike.

89coltgt

You will have to upgrade to a larger set of injectors. You said you were running dsmlink, so you may as well go with a larger set(900cc+) and you will have room to grow.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned