The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

random: converting to non-turbo 2wd for cheap rally fun

DR1665

FlivverRally is coming!

4 guys sharing 1 2wd rally car. If I could get 3 guys to chip in, we could be a rally team and run 195/2000 in multiple events. Think: LeMons for rally.

Catch is, cars must be NA and 2wd. Would the stock rear diff be able to handle a non-turbo 4G63 up front if I capped the front outputs and welded the center diff? Thinking of installing higher CR pistons to keep it from being a dog.

Just curious. 195 will be a rally car, but to what extent?

Thanks.

14u2nV

why not just buy a gs galant, I had one and it was pretty fun stock. by taking away the awd and turbo, your just making yourself look dumb on a vr4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

DO NOT DO IT! Just by a GS if you must. Or some other 2wd NA car. Why would you even consider doing that when these cars are so rare

steve

He's talking RWD not FWD and I think the car is already somewhat rally-prepped?

Rausch

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek3run.gif NOES!!!!!

J/K /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Do IT! I don't see why dq'ing the fronts and welding up the diff wouldn't hold up in that scenario. No Idea for how long though...

Think you can squeeze a std. rwd trans in there and rotate the engine? (I know, lots of extra work), but it would [robably last longer, be a bit lighter and.....Worst case, switch it back.

citymunky

Why not just get a Galant GSX?

DR1665

When I made this post, I was thinking of going RWD without the turbo, but now I'm kinda thinking I might just pick up a FWD engine/trans and swap across to run Flivver Rally. The idea behind Flivver is four a team of 4 guys to run a $500 2WD non-turbo car, so doing this could mean three friends and I take turns racing at each event. Dunno yet. The car should be caged by Christmas, and I plan on running a number of different types of events with it, so why not swap a NT lump under the hood and have at it? It would be cheaper than LeMons!

RedTwo

RWD the Galant! What do people love most about rallies? Crashes, fiery, multiple axis rotating crashes! What else do they love? Watching the tail end of a gravel spitting, RWD monster sliding past on rev limiter, showering them with razor sharp stones!

DR1665

Quoting Drew84:
Get a Mirage, lighter, N/T and already FWD.

If I were going to start over from scratch with a different platform, I'd be building a Volvo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Still, could be an interesting idea for anyone who spots a running condition 6G LS...

And, mpt, yes. Yes, you will.

raptorWagon

No, start over with an old Colt Lancer! Lightweight RWD!

Quoting RedTwo:
RWD the Galant! What do people love most about rallies? Crashes, fiery, multiple axis rotating crashes! What else do they love? Watching the tail end of a gravel spitting, RWD monster sliding past on rev limiter, showering them with razor sharp stones!

Here's some visuals and inspiration for you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif
2rfg715.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mpt72

Maybe even a starion/conquest converted non turbo? They handle pretty well and rwd. Just a thought. Keep me posted about this Brian and ill make sure you guys have some food and drinks!

Muskrat

Wow, thanks for posting that. I'm really interested in doing something like that. If you were closer I'd go in with you. Guess I'll have to round up some guys out here. Hopefully they have stuff in the works for all over, and not just on the west coast. I'll be getting in touch with the ombubsman tonight.

DR1665

Quoting raptorreed:

You would bring Cowan into this. That car is already serving as inspiration for the future paint job of 195/2000.

(And okay, ya got me. When 195/2000 gets stuffed, 464/1000 is following in 195's footsteps, I will have a damn hard time trying to choose my next daily. Could be a 4g64-powered Volvo 244 turbo, but could also be an old school, RWD Colt.)

raptorWagon

If you do the old colt thing, either keep the stock 4g32, swap a mivec 4g92, or do the 4g63/64 swap.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts