The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

log of my car not starting

b00st33d

So I bought a logger awhile back to diagnose my car that would not start. This is my first time using the logger so bare with me. I dont know how to transfer logs to my computer so here it is:
02R = 0.01V COOL = 18.7degC
MAP = 2.68 BAR AIRT = 21.2degC
TPS =10.1% BARO = 0.98BAR
TIMA = 5deg BATT = 11.8V
02-F =2.5V ISC = 46.8%

I just put in a new battery before recording the logs. I used MMCd software to log. Can someone please point me to the right direction on what I need to check. TIA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

What kind of logger is this? When are these values taken? Does the car turn over, but just not start? What have you done besides buy a data logger to try and fix the problem?

First thing, most cars will not start with less than 12.3 volts or so, and your "log" says 11.8 volts.

Second thing, the TPS is at 10%...... are you giving it gas to try to start it?

My tps also says 10% as soon as the ignition is on so I dont think thats the problem
battery voltage is a bit low but should still crank over. Check for fuel and spark from
all necessary components and take it from there.

Last edited by a moderator:

b00st33d

The logger i used is palm M500 and log was taken when the ignition key is in the ON position. The car would not turn over. The battery is brand new I borrowed a friends ECU and was told it was in working condition.

stevep

There is a big difference between not turning over and not starting. Not turning over means the starter isn't working.
I don't see anything wrong with those numbers. The TPS should read 10% with the throttle closed.

That fact that you can get any numbers from the ECU is a good sign.

What was the original problem, was it working and stopped working or not working when you got it?

Didnt know the TPS was at 10% w/o giving any throttle.... good to know.

If its not turning over then you have an issue with your starter, as previously stated. Have you tried something simple like jumping the car? Just cause the battery is new don't assume its fine. If you have tried to start it for a while on that battery you may have drained it. If jumping it doesn't work start checking the starter and alternator. If you don't have a multi-meter or dont know how to do that then take the starter out first and go have it tested at an autoparts store.

rgeier11

I'm still thinking this is a locked up engine. Try and turn it over by hand using a 1/2" drive breaker bar clockwise on the crankshaft pulley.

locked up engine is another good possibility, and probably easier to check first. If you cant turn it over by hand your starter probably can't turn it over regardless of it's condition.

b00st33d

OK, I will check on what you have suggested. I need all 4 wheels off the ground to turn over the crank pulley, correct? Also, assuming that it has a bad starter and I jump it, will it still try to turnover?

no, just put the car in neutral and set the E-brake or block the wheels and you should be able to turn the motor over by hand and none of the wheels should turn.

If your starter is bad then jumping it will not do anything. Jumping it will only fix it if it is a bettery problem, or maybe certain alternator problems. If the starter is shot it will act the same while jumping and not jumping. Classic signs of a bad starter is clicking while trying to start the car, one loud click when you turn the key forward, or if the signal wire to the starter is bad nothing will happen when you try to start it.

Do you hear any of those things while trying to start it? If not, what sounds do you hear?

b00st33d

Yes, I just hear a click when I tried starting it. I will work on it hopefully this weekend and get the starter tested out. Thank you.

No problem. The started has a gear in it that moves in and out on a shaft. When you start it, the gear moves out and meshes with the flywheel, but once it is started it retracts so the starter isn't always spinning. One loud click normally indicates that that gear is getting thrown out properly, but that there is a problem with the motor turning over. It boils down to either the starter motor being out, or the motor being too hard for the starter to turn. If you can turn the motor by hand then get the starter tested, if you can't turn the motor by hand you probably have some more serious problems.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned