The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Lifting a VR4?

MegaSuiter

Anyone out there ever installed like a 3 inch lift with gnarly tires. I am sure everyone will bash this, but why not? I mean I don't want my front bumper to turn into a snow plow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

cheekychimp

I got 4 inches at the back by installing Evo suspension on a 2WD Galant /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif. Looked ridiculous but I guess you could do it if you wanted! Frankly though for what you are suggesting, unless you really want the Monster Truck look, a far more sensible way to go about it (particularly if you do drive in the snow) is to mount 205/70R/15 snow tyres on your car and raise it a little over stock like Mark did.

944af4b6e76b9e0.jpg

944af4b6e7a699c.jpg

I really don't think anyone needs more ground clearance than this. Mark uses his car in the snow all the time, he refers to it as his "ski car" so I am sure he'd lift it higher if it was necessary.

Paul.

Last edited:

mountaineerjeff

how did he raise it? after hearing that 255s will clear, im thinking of maxing out the GCs I have then running something like a 235/65/16

just for $hits and giggles, and just for the winter. shoot in a size like that I can just go to a M/T and then use it to beat off some trees in the spring. just a thought.

turbowop

I just used a set of GC coilovers and raised it up. I don't have it like that anymore though. I run the same size snow tires, but I have it much lower. No issues in the snow.

mountaineerjeff

im sure that with the gcs oiled up, and the car on the lift this wouldnt take long at all. my biggest problem with the GCs though is they limit your shock travel, so even though I can lift it like 2" I dont gain any suspension travel. I really want to put some sweet M/Ts on it....I have a set of A/Ts on 5 lug rims sitting in the garage....Ill be able to do 70 in first gear lmao /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

cheekychimp

Quoting turbowop:
I don't have it like that anymore though. I run the same size snow tires, but I have it much lower. No issues in the snow.

944e8f9c153ffaa.jpg

MegaSuiter

Thanks guys! and Cheekychimp...What color is your car? mine is the same and have been surious. Keningston Grey? I guess I am just used to fwd and rwd....

DR1665

Hey. MY KG car is my "daily driven parts car." I don't call mine a junkpile so much as "spares package" for the race car.

SPAREZ2-495x371.jpg

I've been thinking about a little bit of lift for the race car. I might see about fitting a set of Evo or Outlander springs to it. Maybe even a set from a 8G Galant.

The ultimate goal is a set of inverted 50mm Bilsteins on custom springs, but I'm looking for the cheap setup to get the car running.

steve

Quoting 123abc:
General Altimax Arctics for the win!!

I put the same on the TL for this winter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

mountaineerjeff

Quoting turbowop:
My GC's don't limit my shock travel.

just meant that when lifted you dont gain travel, so the theory work the opposite, when lowering it, you loose shock travel.

so if your GCs are the same as my GCs they do limit the shocks...if your car has 6" of compression travel, you lower it 2", then you now only have 4". when lowering it, it isnt an issue, because you will hit the fenders first, or you just remove some of our huge bumpstops. but when raising it, you loose your "droop" or the ability for the wheel to be pushed away from the car.

point is you may have like 10" of of shock travel, but as long as the GCs just move your static location, then you loose the travel on whichever end you move toward.

none the-less probably a complete non issue with vr4s. as anyone that it would matter, wouldnt be running GCs. but itdoes limit travel in one way or another.

turbowop

The way you said it made me think that you meant the GC's limit your compression travel.

You're just raising and lowering the car within the shocks/struts upper and lower limits, so depending on which direction you go, you lose droop or compression by that much. I assume everybody knows this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

mountaineerjeff

yep, no prob, just clearing up what I meant. thats reason why I dont prefer spacer type solutions, but it is what it is.

JNR

OP - just remember when you change a suspension's geometry that much (3" is a lot), your drive axles/driveshaft angles, as well as steering components (angle/wear) will suffer unless you compensate. I would think you'd also need adjustable arms (or longer tops) to get some sort of acceptable caster on the wheels. Obviously, longer shocks, springs and so on, too...even things like flexible brake lines may need to be longer, or relocated, but not like you'd have any articulation to worry about (still, good to check all this stuff and especially on something that hasn't been done).

My advice if you want ground clearance, get a truck or something...can still be a lot of fun!

mountaineerjeff

well I dont really see the castor being effected. the upper and lower points dont change in respect to each other. you would still be in your adjustment range to fix toe. so you might have some funky stuff going on with the camber, but still driveable for sure. the only problem I can see is that once again your droop will be limited, but this time by your control arm

JNR

duh, I goofed that one and not sure what I was thinking at the time, lol...you're right, camber is the correct term.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned