The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Lifted GVR4

JackstandTSi

I saw a few pics from the shootout and saw a lifted black 1g, and thought to myself..how hard would it be to lift a GVR4 a few inches to fit a slightly larger aggressive tire for winter driving..im sure the stock height of a GVR4 is perfectly fine but i think it would be cool to have..Is it something easy to achieve or is it a boat load of fabrication work.

15psi88

I lifted a dsm using spacers on top of the struts and longer bolts in place of the original studs. For the rear, I just used Galant springs, but you could easily just repeat the spacer process for the rear.

This isn't mine but it should make the idea clear:

JackstandTSi

Seems fairly simple...what materials did you use to make yours or can you buy these somewhere...did you have any issues with them driving or noise wise or damages to the towers or the car.

cheekychimp

15psi88 what size are the tyres on that 1g. Mark (turbowop) had some pretty big tyres on his car and he managed it just by using coilovers and raising the ride height. Not sure if it was that radical though.

15psi88

I did drill new upper strut mounting holes in the shock towers to correct camber but other solutions exist($$$). You could get a lot of adjustment from a smaller bolt in the upper pinch mount though.
I used 1/4" AR plate for the top mount. I welded tubular standoffs on the existing strut mount, then punched the studs down through and replaced them with longer bolts. The tire size is 215/70/15. It did rub the strut when it grew at highway speed, so I stretched the fenders 1.5" and put 1" wheel spacers on.

cheekychimp

Yeah I think Mark was running 205/70/15.

I actually dig that look though. I wonder how well those tyres would fill the wheel wells on my "lifted" GTi with the EVO struts?

Cool looking car by the way. I guess you guys take your DSMs for granted but not seeing them everyday over here I think they are so cool.

Last edited:

Wookalar

Bad ass mad max 1g. Looks like it would be so much fun with some of those skinny studded snow tires.

PolskiVR4

Quoting 15psi88:

This picture just planted an evil seed in my mind, that looks like pure bliss. Off topic: I clicked the pic to go through your album, that The Simpsons gif is pure win.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts