The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My cars got jacked...

mitsuturbo

My cars (both of them) have at some time been lifted, by jack or other means, in precisely the wrong lift points.

I just had to point out; I think i've yet to see a GVR4 that some dumb asshole hasn't put a jack under the driver seat on the box/frame/rail part and cave it in. Taking a look at the photos, I can see that even 1051 seems to have fallen victim to this at some point.

I was all up under 555 tonight doin werk and noticed it got it a bit on both sides. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
1411 has this "damage" up under the driver's side pretty good.. the passenger side, not so much.

How retarded do you have to be, to NOT realize the jack is feeling like mush as the floor is caving in? I mean, i've done this before, but it was on DSMs that were being stripped down to nothing and the shell was to go into the scrap heap.

Have you been under your car lately? Has it fallen victim to irresponsible jacking?

turbowop

My car has never been jacked up from the floorboards from what I can tell. Unibody rails all look pretty normal to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif It has been put on jackstands under the rocker panels in the wrong spots, folding over the seam under there. But I bent all that back out before it was painted.

Are you planning to drive out here tomorrow to pick up that intake pipe? I should be around all day. You can check out my underside in person. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

mitsuturbo

944a91dca807dc3.jpg

That photo has it looking like there's a little bit of a rise in the pass. side frame box. It looks just like how mine does on 555.
I may make it out tomorrow. I think i'll probably wake up late, be bored, and ready to make the road trip. Anything could happen though. I'll check with you before i leave here if you want to gimme your # so i don't interrupt anything that may come up with you.

SmoothCustomer

Yeah my car is pretty clean underneath, but the crimp weld is all crushed up. Sucks. By the way, that guy on here was trying to do a gb for jack stand pads. He wanted $50 for them and they were formed to harbor freight jack stands. It turns out harbor freight already sells them...for $10. I would pick up a set but it's petty much too late.

mitsuturbo

I have ALWAYS put my stands either under the round clamp that holds the back of the A arm, or on the front lateral crossmember. It sucks that there are idiots out there that think it's ok to jack a car up by the box like an old full steel framed car or a truck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

mitsuturbo

Oh, and i always jack either from the rear diff, or from the little oval dead center of the lateral front crossmember.

Last edited:

SouthCaliVR4

It's not just from jacks, when the car is put on a rack to be lifted many times they will position the lift wrong, if you're lucky they'll just bend the pinch however, a true moron will also damage the cladding. there are four reinforced spots on the rail that are the designated lift points. So long as these points are used & the jack is on a surface it can roll without resistance no damage should result.

Mine has but a couple minor tweaks at the forward lift points, I'd guess from the previous owner.

Myself, I only Rack it or if using a jack do so from the center front point or the rear diff & place jack stands at the lift points with pads. Using jack stands with a proper saddle will help to prevent damage, some have very deep v contact points that end up putting the load on the rocker = bad. I'd use the sub frames but too many times I have done that only to find I need to loosen or drop said sub frame & then have to move them anyway.

mitsuturbo

Well, the pinch at the rocker is a lot stronger than the unibody box/rail. Fortunately, neither of my cars seem to have been jacked at the rocker panel areas. I'm sure it's just cosmetic, and who really looks at the bottom of the car? oh..sh*t, wait half the life of the car is spent having its underside viewed during labor!

curtis

This is why the subframe connectors I build help so well. I always jack up the car in the front and then set the car on 2 Jackstand on the frame connectors about 6 inches back. Gives more room to crawl under it and a more stable platform.

cheekychimp

Knew there was something I had forgotten to PM you about Curtis. I'll get that sorted this weekend.

As for jacking up cars. One tow truck once used my ARC intercooler to jack up my 8G VR4. That kind of pissed me off!

Edit: That is why regardless of the huge extra weight, I am using the 1/4 inch thick skid plate on my build. You can jack the whole car up from anywhere on that plate without damaging the tranny, engine, exhaust, intercooler etc

Last edited:

gtluke

I had a jackstand slip out and completely crush my shitrail there. It's been jacked up like that too.
I took out the interior and pounded it all back in place from the inside, and put 3 times more welds in.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned