The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Offset and Sizing-GVR4 specific. Pictures helpful

mean_green

To his their own...

I've been looking into buying new rims for the G ride. Now seeing is this is the best place to get info on them bar-none I was hoping some of you guys would help me out.

I want to rock a really aggressive rim on my Galant once I get around to affording them again, lol. But I'm a little hazy on how offset will work on these cars while rocking a wide tire and being low with AWD.

I plan to rock a rim somewhere in the 17x8 size of an undisclosed brand/style and I'd like to go with a low offset, maybe something in the +25 +30 area. Will it work? and how well or what will I need to achieve it? Tire size in the 245 area maybe 255. Im not worried about rocking some camber because to me thats part of the look but I do need a little tire depth since this is going to be street driven and potholes are the enemy.

Can someone help me out? I have been looking at the chart thats GVR4 specific but its doesnt have anything really that close to the setup I want to be rocking. FITMENT CHART

Just need a little push in the right direction to help me find out what parts I need to achieve this or what is and isn't going to work.

TIA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif
-Alan

Last edited:

mean_green

Quoting mean_green:
To his their own...

I've been looking into buying new rims for the G ride. Now seeing is this is the best place to get info on them bar-none I was hoping some of you guys would help me out.

I want to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rock.gif a really aggressive rim on my Galant once I get around to affording them again, lol. But I'm a little hazy on how offset will work on these cars while /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rock.gifing a wide tire and being low with AWD.

I plan to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rock.gif a rim somewhere in the 17x8 size of an undisclosed brand/style and I'd like to go with a low offset, maybe something in the +25 +30 area. Will it work? and how well or what will I need to achieve it? Tire size in the 245 area maybe 255. Im not worried about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rock.gifing some camber because to me thats part of the look but I do need a little tire depth since this is going to be street driven and potholes are the enemy.

Can someone help me out? I have been looking at the chart thats GVR4 specific but its doesnt have anything really that close to the setup I want to be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rock.gifing. FITMENT CHART

Just need a little push in the right direction to help me find out what parts I need to achieve this or what is and isn't going to work.

TIA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif
-Alan

So maybe that was my word of the day, lol. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/asshole

But really Mark maybe you can show my the offset of your FN01R-C's on The Agent if the shine from her doesn't cause too much camera glare? I like to have a similar 5-spoke rim with some lip and great spoke curve-age.

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

I hope you're planning on some pretty big fender flares, if you want to avoid the mexi low rider look /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

+35 sticks out quite a bit without a bit of front camber dialed in, +25 will look ridiculous.

+40 to +42 is about perfect for a 17x8 to sit fully inside the fender, FYI.

mitsuturbo

turbowop's wheels look great on his car. looks like they fit perfectly

if you want more tire/wheel fitment info, there is a wealth of it HERE

mean_green

^ Ya thats the same link I posted earlier that I've been refering to as well.

I want a really aggressive look with the offset though, close to the look drift cars achieve. I know some might not care for this but Im just figuring what might work and look good. I love the FN01R-C's with a really low offset and similar rim styles.

I don't know if I can achieve some of the look but just getting a wide rim, Id like something with the curvature of how the FN01R-C's look in the line-up when you look at them on Vividracing.com or a similar site HYPER BLACK STLYE

mitsuturbo

Your link directs me to 404

Not Found
The requested object does not exist on this server. The link you followed is either outdated, inaccurate, or the server has been instructed not to let you have it. Please inform the site administrator of the referring page.�Ž

and i'm pretty sure that's a seattle car. i believe i've seen it around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Last edited:

turbowop

You won't be able to achieve the look you're going for without fender flares. The offset that makes the spokes angle like that is too shallow for our cars.

mitsuturbo

I've never known anyone with a "drift" car, so i couldn't ask them, but doesn't that hard camber angle cause tires to wear VERY fast on the inside? It just doesn't seem like a financially sound thing to do, unless you either never drive the car, or like buying tires three or four times a year.

kartorium

Quoting turbowop:
You won't be able to achieve the look you're going for without fender flares. The offset that makes the spokes angle like that is too shallow for our cars.

like mark said, all of the wheels you see with decent "octopus arm", as I like to call it, are going to be 9+ inches wide and also have even lower offset.

slugsgomoo

if you want that spoke look or deep dish like a RWD car, then buy a RWD car.

You will not get that kind of offset onto one of these cars without very large flares.

Mark: your wheels look hot, but you have to have the camber plates in the front to make anything below +40 work, so people should consider that when they do it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think my wheels look fine at +42 personally. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

DSC_5290.JPG

turbowop

Quoting mitsuturbo:
I've never known anyone with a "drift" car, so i couldn't ask them, but doesn't that hard camber angle cause tires to wear VERY fast on the inside? It just doesn't seem like a financially sound thing to do, unless you either never drive the car, or like buying tires three or four times a year.

I don't have any weird wear issues with -2 degrees. I've heard you can go up to -2.5 without issue, maybe more. I think most wear problems are caused by toe in/out being off.

Last edited:

kartorium

Quoting slugsgomoo:

I think my wheels look fine at +42 personally. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

When did they start making 17x8 in a +42?

Actually, your wheels are +35 just like the rest of ours. Unless they are 7" wide, then they might be a +42.

Last edited:

H05TYL

So I'm not the only one who likes decent fitment!

I've got a set of 18x9 +30 work xd9's to go on my vr4 (got to convert it to 5-stud first)
They're going to require pulling the arches out about a half inch at the front, camber is about 2/3rds of max on cusco evo5 strut tops.

The rear will require a smaller pull, camber is, well, lots at this ride height.

If your willing to repaint, just about ANY wheel can be made to fit without having to use nasty stick on flares. - if it wasn't for an awesome deal on the xd9's I'd have gone with 18x9.5 +12 CR Kai's instead.

Something important to note, all the drift cars running really aggressive fitment also run stretched tires - then the rim can sit just outside the guard lip, whilst the tire tucks under it. As negative camber increases when the suspension compresses, the rim will tuck inside the guard when you hit a bump.
I've got 235/40's on my 9's which isn't much of a stretch - 225/40's would make fitment much easier without being too silly.

mitsuturbo

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting mitsuturbo:

I don't have any weird wear issues with -2 degrees. I've heard you can go up to -2.5 without issue, maybe more. I think most wear problems are caused by toe in/out being off.

Yours looks normal. Looks great. I was talking about some bullshit like this.

header.jpg

I saw a nissan at the golden gardens meet a couple weeks ago that looked just like that in the front. I can't imagine tires lasting much longer than an oil change like that.

turbowop

I'm guessing wheel bearings, bushings, etc., don't last long like that either. But hey, it's all about looks for some people.
crazy.gif

mean_green

Quoting mitsuturbo:
and i'm pretty sure that's a seattle car. i believe i've seen it around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ya that pic was from the Seattle Honda-tech meet that happened just last weekend, some buddies of mine ran out there to nab up some parts.

I dont want to run any tires too stretched because this cars going to see the streets of Laurel, MT and that place is pothole capital of the world, can even get the bumper stickers to prove it -lol. But I do want to figure out how to make a +25 offset work out.

Id like to figure something out that'll work w/ out using fender flares, but I dont mind the few pictures Ive seen of one thats has some fender flares floating around on here. I dont want to do it if its going to stress a bunch of things out like bearings and bushings. I dont want to put the thing on the ground being AWD but I do want it lower that most of you will probably like, just my taste and kind of how all my cars sit. But I also drive the thing like I stole it when its not JSB so I have to take all this in when I make a decision on what rims to go with.

Hmmm decisions decsions... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

slugsgomoo

Quoting kartorium:
Quoting slugsgomoo:

When did they start making 17x8 in a +42?

Actually, your wheels are +35 just like the rest of ours. Unless they are 7" wide, then they might be a +42.

they're definitely 8" wide, and they're definitely not +38 or +35 since I have stock front suspension and they don't stick out at all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I could be misremembering the exact offset but given that they hang out the fenders without 2* of camber /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned