The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Knock

The_Big_Weave

I am getting 43counts of knock at around 2300 and 15% throttle. Tried riching it up still doesn't help. I am running 550s safc and a maf trans. Could this be phantom knock?

turbowop

Sounds like PK. At that low of throttle and RPM, it's more annoying than anything due to the ECU pulling timing. At WOT/high RPM/high boost is where you don't wanna see a bunch of knock.

So you are seeing knock WOT? Have you set your timing correctly recently, like after the last timing belt change?

The_Big_Weave

Timing is set correctly, I see no knock at WOT have tuned it to around 10.8 to 11 AF. I am only seeing the knock at around 2.5 at 15% throttle, if I hold it at the throttle it will knock until I change throttle position. It also sometimes happens if I change throttle very fast in low rpms but not a full throttle. All of this happens at partial throttle.

turbowop

My car used to do that just cruising down the freeway. Annoying. I had Keydiver whip me up a chip with PK code to get rid of it. Been good for like eight years now.

It is sounding like phantom knock. Have you checked the condition of the sensor?

Wop,
More about this PK code? How does that work as far as detecting real knock from phantom?

The_Big_Weave

I have a brand new sensor. I need to get an eprom before I run the keydiver chips. I am pretty sure that is just PK but I am gunna go get some race gas today and run it to see if it disappears.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned