The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help with (fake) knock

James

I'm fairly positive my knock is being caused by the terribly loud lifter ticking. But aside from a lot of "that was my problem" reading I have no concrete evidence.

Sitting at idle if I give the car some throttle ill get 40 some counts of knock. If I give it any throttle under 3k I get 40 counts of knock.
Above 3k (about) the knock will go away and I can run her out just fine.

I know the knock isn't real. Atleast it better not be. If my motor is holding together at a constant 40 counts of knock on pump gas then wow.

I guess I'm really just looking for a 56th opinion that its the ticking that the knock sensor is picking up.

I've tried a second sensor. I put some sh*t on the threads. I tried the copper washer I tried a rubber washer. I tried a thicker oil. I tried a Lucas bullshit thing. I'm using a KN oil filter.

rdomeck

There is a setting in link to ignore knock below a certain RPM. I had to do this in my car. This assumes you are running ecm link?

James

No like else I would do that! I've done it before in pervious cars but I don't like it. I'd rather actually fix the problem.

A/F is adjusted via SAFCii. If I do a pull starting above 3k I do they any knock throughout the rest of the gear.

I really just want to be sure that replacing the lifters has the best chance of fixing the problem. I can deal with the sound of the ticking. I can even deal with the stupid amount of power loss from the timing retarding. I assume it also dumps a ton of fuel to get rid of the fake knocking and that's what kills me. Getting like 16mpg right now.

Jesus_Negros

Replace the lifters and see from there. With these motors if you know there's a problem fix it. Good luck.

Mac

I'm the same boat with my GVR4. Huge counts of knock despite replacing the knock sensor and the lifters are super loud.

Which lifters are you considering? I can't seem to find a firm consensus on which set is best. Some people say that bleeding the factory ones will fix the problem. Then there's the ITM/Topline lifters. People have mixed reviews on those and I'm not sure there's a difference between the two. Then there's the expensive GSC lifters and even more expensive OEM lifters.

James

My last dsm had toplines and they worked fine. Ill probably go with them agsin

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned