The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Just picked up #147 *Need Advice*

Defiant

Whats up everybody. I just picked up #147/1000 from Justin aka 147/1000.

I also changed the timing belt on 885/1000 for him.

I got a few pics of the car in its current state.

Last edited:

GVR47111K

Pics! Oh wait...

...Welcome!

Defiant

More pics

I went and picked up the Galant yesterday.

After looking it over with a fine tooth comb, I've found some troubling issues. The car has been sitting for about 7 years, so I expected to find some things, but I'm kinda on the fence on whether I should scrap this project already.

Problems:
Rust around back window
Missing rear brake calibers
All brake lines clogged with dirt due to brake calibers being removed for storage
fuel lines clogged
rack PS lines clogged
Rusted trim under windshield
Obvious water signs on passenger side floorboard (front)

I'm thinking the 4 bolt rear end is going to be full of water. The axles are out and caps in its place, but during the last hurricane the car was surrounded by high water. No water go inside though.

Good:
The car is white /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The interior is almost mint (one spot on dash)

So, do you guys think I should continue this project, or sell it and try to find another.

Last edited:

rdomeck

The question I would have is, are you willing to put $5-8K in this to get it going? That's what it will take. What can you buy in the for sale section for $8K and be driving it?

citymunky

If you have the spare parts ad space, I say get her going.

James

I agree with munky. If you have space/time/money then fix it up right. Never like to see a vr4 scrapped.

LordAthey

I have had mine in the garage for over 3 years. I just hit at it a little at a time because between work and school I don't have a lot of free time.

GSX_TC

Go for it man, it's truly a great feeling to build it from
The ground up then finally turn that key to start it. Don't let it go to the scrap yard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

turbowop

It looks like a decent shell. The pics you posted in the other thread of the rust under the trim doesn't look horrible, but probably needs to be put on the priority list if you plan to keep the car. From the looks of it, the rest of the car looks pretty rust free? Cleaning out the brake lines, fuel lines, and PS lines can't be that difficult. Or just bend up some new ones, or braided SS. Whatever you want. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The cool thing about a project that takes $8k to get up and running is you can do it over time. Sure you can buy a running car for that amount in one lump sum, but you need to have the money all up front. And even then, you'll probably find things about whatever car you buy at that price that you don't like. Every single one of these cars have quirks or some small issue. I'm willing to bet even all the nicest GVR4's out there, including my 1051, have at least some small issues, but nobody else other than their owners would probably notice. Or a new owner months or years into ownership notices.

If the car is solid (not a rustbucket), have at it. Start sourcing the parts you need and put that bish together.

Defiant

Thanks for the advice guys.

I have had my eye on this shell for a long time and there is no way I would send it to the scrap yard. I'm goin to take my time and put her together.
I'm not in any hurry. I was just aggregated I guess?

Good news. My wife said to give her a list of parts, because that's what she wants to get me for Christmas. But she made it clear, $500 is my limit.
Reminds me why I married her.

BpuVR4

do not let that woman go and keep her happy! that $500 can be stretched to a couple grand with some good massaging and chores around the house i bet

GSX_TC

500 bucks can get you alot of the smaller items like gaskets o-rings, seals, and belts and hoses etc etc so put it to good use first before dropping 500 on a turbo or something.

supa_saloon

Quoting MoMoVR4:
do not let that woman go and keep her happy! that $500 can be stretched to a couple grand with some good massaging and chores around the house i bet

I Agree! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts