The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

integrity of civic race radiator?

tektic

I was considering a 3 core civic rad fro cx racing (ebay) . Friend who builds Chevys told me that radiators with aluminum end takes have no place on a dd. Has anyone had a race core rad fail on them because of daily wear?

thecman02

I've ran my Koyo Civic Half Rad for 4 years daily driven. 40K+ miles with no problem. I don't see why your friend would make a statement like that. I would much prefer a metal end tank (copper, aluminum)then plastic. I can't count how many failures I've had with plastic end tanks cracking/failing.

prove_it

Maybe on a chevy that rattles and shakes like crazy it will fail.

5OF2k

Had mine on my car for about a year, works just fine!

-Jake

turbohf

i had a used aluminum koyo in my Integra for the 30k+miles i had it, and pretty sure that he has had it in there the last 2years. with only 1 issue... keeps it too cold in winter DD lol.

if its a quality part it shouldnt have an issue.

Ok guys what about temp control in the summer how does it do. I am thinking about trying one just dont wont the car to over heat

thecman02

As long as you have a quality fan on the radiatior you shouldn't have any problems at temps up to 100*F. That's the hottest ambient temp I've driven in since I've been driving my car with this radiator but I saw nothing over 200*F.

alansupra94

I know I am probably going to move up to a Civic radiator when I get my Holset VGT.

One thing besides a fan that I will be getting is a proper shroud in front of the radiator to help funnel air into my radiator. Keep in mind, fan are usually good for cooling at speeds of 0-30mph. Above that, ambient airflow should be cooling the radiator.

boostedinaz

Quoting tektic:
I was considering a 3 core civic rad fro cx racing (ebay) . Friend who builds Chevys told me that radiators with aluminum end takes have no place on a dd. Has anyone had a race core rad fail on them because of daily wear?

I would immediately stop asking him for advice.

Anything that is built well will last a long time. If you buy cheap sh*t it will break. It's as simple as that.

BadVr4

my civic radiator was OK.. but if you can avoid it, you should. they are too small for these cars and if you get stuck in any stop and go traffic, you may overheat

5OF2k

I disagree, completely. With a properly functioning fan setup and cooling system you'll be just fine. Even in 95* weather stuck im Denver traffic im 100% ok; car never sees over 205.

-Jake

sy1100

I will probably never go this route since 112 degree temps are an everyday occurrence in the summer here in Vegas, 190 in the direct sun. I see a new radiator coming this summer.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts