The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GVR4 - running list of items to eliminate/convert...

eviLntt

Aluminum radiator? How about switching out the the tail light center piece for one without lights in it (only the 92's?).

Man, i just don't get it. I really don't get it. Why buy a rare VR4 if you are going to delete everything? Just buy a GSX or something, put a 4g63T in it, and delete everything from that one. The outcome is exactly thesame, the only difference is that you aren't f***ing up another one from the 3000 rare vr4's....

Anyway, why would you seriously remove the timing covers?? They weigh almost nothing, and a small rock can be enough to f*ck everything up. Not everything is about weight, there's a bit of safety involved as well. Safety to keep your engine running, and what you are doing now is just dumb. If you didn't need timing covers, don't you think that they where never installed then? That's almost thesame as removing your valvecover for weight reduction....

Just my 0.02 $

sleepyvr4

Quoting galantgti:
Man, i just don't get it. I really don't get it. Why buy a rare VR4 if you are going to delete everything? Just buy a GSX or something, put a 4g63T in it, and delete everything from that one. The outcome is exactly thesame, the only difference is that you aren't f***ing up another one from the 3000 rare vr4's....

Anyway, why would you seriously remove the timing covers?? They weigh almost nothing, and a small rock can be enough to f*ck everything up. Not everything is about weight, there's a bit of safety involved as well. Safety to keep your engine running, and what you are doing now is just dumb. If you didn't need timing covers, don't you think that they where never installed then? That's almost thesame as removing your valvecover for weight reduction....

Just my 0.02 $

Listen gti - don't get your loincloth in a stiff over this - no one is saying that these mods have to be done. Some people have different interests with the car. This is simply a list of what one could do in order to reduce weight for obvious track reasons all while really making the car less leaky, replacing 20 year old parts, cleaning up that circus of an engine bay, etc. Tell you what - when I eliminate my timing cover I'll donate it to you - then you can put two on your car for added safety!!! You know people have actually had timing belts fail because the timing cover collected debris and eventually it ended up in the belt?!? That belt is moving so effin fast that the tiniest rock making contact with the belt is going to zing off into outer space - as opposed to actually traveling through a gear and the belt with the belt going 1,800rpm. We need a myth buster on this...

Wasn't meant to be personal towards you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quote:
Tell you what - when I eliminate my timing cover I'll donate it to you - then you can put two on your car for added safety!!!

You do that, always wanted a second timing cover. I'm going to glue it on the other one to make it stronger....

throughfaith323

hahaha you guys are funny.

galantgti--i totally agree with you. if you are going to be taring the car apart to where it can't be reversed, then use a gsx shell for that. most of the stuff one(the everyday vr4 owner) would do for weight reduction is easily reversable, so there is no reason you should hold back from those types of reductions. i try to keep things i eliminate...like power antenna, cruise, AC...and what not. i know i'll never reverse those things but i still hold onto them.

timing cover i dont think should be deleted, well at least lower section and thats the bigger of the 2. chances of something happening are slim but its a big chance. only way i would is if its a track car or i'm going to a show and i dont plan on doing either lol.clear cover will do me fine. i think it might be more weight tho haha. insignificant tho.

EDIT: just to clear up...nothing here was said with anger towards anyone. just friendly discussions/opinions. Don't want any wrong ideas.

Last edited:

^Exactly what i meant, throughfaith323!!

As long as it is reversable, it doesn't matter. But when you start doing things that can't be reversed, you are doing something to a rare car ,that you shouldn't do. Take a GSX and do whatever you want to it, there are quite a few of them still around.

And like said above, nothing here was said with anger towards anyone. Just trying to keep a friendly discussion going, nothing else.

throughfaith323

yes any just in defense to Sleepy(not saying you were againt him) he wanted to make a list for weight reduction and you can't leave things out because there rare cars. thats why we came up with the sections idea.

i would really like to know how many vr4's are gone and out of the ones left... how many vr4's are owned by people that know what they got/ are on this board lol.

***please bno one run off on what i just said cause i don't want it to go off on a tangent. lol
thanks...Ed****

91GSR

the guy i bought my vr4 from had 3...thats right 3. the one i bought wasnt running and has basic mods (exhaust and an afc) and one he already had i think he said like 7 grand in the engine alone. he had another one over in richmond but no specifics on it. basically this post is just to say that a lot of people out there dont tear these cars apart, but the few that do really know what they are doing from what ive seen. i don't think any of us on this board, except for the few with vr4s that are true track beasts, would ever consider doing irreversable things to this car. i plan on making a lot of power with mine, but keeping the "unique-ness" and rarity of it. will be watching this thread develop as im very interested in things i can do like that

throughfaith323

^^ i was thinking that 91gsr... if you know what your doing i think its good to make a track car and reprisent.

conquesttsi

Thank you for this thread.

I have just about collected and am about to install all the aftermarket upgrades I wanted (turbo, fuel, ect...). The next thing I was looking at doing is weight reduction. Here comes the corny part...

I love my car and the history it has and would never want to do a mod to my car that is not 100% reversable. It's not a daily but I am not willing to sacrafice anything that makes the car what it is unless it's an overall improvment.

It's nice to have a guide to tell me what kind of things there are to take off or replace so I can do a bit of weight reduction without wrecking my car. As a newb to Galants I don 't know every inch of this car like some of you do so I found this very helpful.

sleepyvr4

No worries fellas and no offense taken at any point - however your concern is appreciated!!! I fell in love with these cars the moment I saw my first one at Carlisle in '01 or '02. I saw three that day and one was Harry's #3 - I even got video footage of all of them. I got lucky when I got my last one, and I just couldn't leave it alone over the years I had it. Well, I've had my time away - and I'm arming myself with ideas and I am coming back from retirement to demolish my old personal milestone 14b GVR4 record. That's it - no more no less. I also intend to grab the VR4 16g record while I'm at it this time. I want to keep car streetable - within reason and of course with sacrifices. Shep even kept his car plenty streetable for the longest time - so why not shoot for something? He runs 7's at over 190mph. And it's still a "car" - a really, really sinister vehicular, but still a car...

RedTwo

What's the 16g record?

What about removing the muffler - replacing with a straight pipe out the back or a super short pipe comming out by the front wheel?
Manual window conversion - not too easy to find parts.
An open diff weighs less than a LSD.
3 bolt should be lighter than a 4 bolt too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

sleepyvr4

16g record (sorta)

#14 Victor Brant 11.474 119.08 7.306 96.96 1.596 Sleeper 16g

clicky

EvoIII 16g not far behind...

deleting muff is bettered by deleting exhaust

fender exhaust is like running downpipe only

manual window conversion sounds like a nightmare - these cars have enough (really...)

Gvr4's come with 3 bolt - 4 bolt is supposedly only a necessity if you start breaking axles. I believe ATC250r (?) used to claim 3 bolt axles broke once into 12's but neither one of us did. You can swap a TEL subframe and keep 3 bolt cups/axles - all preference...

Last edited:

fivestardsm

Quoting RedTwo:
What's the 16g record?

What about removing the muffler - replacing with a straight pipe out the back or a super short pipe comming out by the front wheel?
Manual window conversion - not too easy to find parts.
An open diff weighs less than a LSD.
3 bolt should be lighter than a 4 bolt too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have 2 manual window cars, and have seen several others in the yards around. Granted, after the scrap prices went through the roof last year, I am sure there are fewer now tho.
Personally, that is one thing I would not get rid of. Got to have the 4/55 A/C. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

turbowop

If you're aiming for a 16g record, you're going to be breaking 3bolt axles. I ran high 12's back in the day with a 3bolt, but past that if driven hard, people start to break them.

Also, I have zero issue with people doing what they want to do with their own cars. Half the gvr4's out there are torn up, beat down, and rusted to sh*t anyway. What's a couple more stripped down for track duty? Finding a GSX to built into a track car is almost more difficult than finding a VR4 anyway. That said, I disagree with some removal of some items...

IMO, removal of the lower or upper timing cover is dumb. There's no significant weight loss by removing it and to replace the belt you still need to remove everything else off the front of the motor, so that's a moot point. I think removal of just the upper cover could be even worse. Not from a safety standpoint, but from frustration. I'd hate to be working in the engine bay only to have a small bolt or nut fall down there because the cover was off. Then you get to remove the lower one to get it out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

throughfaith323

I’m pretty sure my buddy’s roommate was in the tens with his older talon. Only broke like 2 axles I think his whole time having the car. I will double check and get back to you guys. it wasn’t a daily driver but when he drove it he didn’t baby it I don’t think. We had a track day a year ago and he was launching it with no problem.

Like I said though...I will double check.

Has a lot to do with your weight, tires, etc how much strain you’ll be putting on the drive train.

Get back to this confirming he had a 3 bolt in couple days.

NateCrisman

Copy/paste off my blog. I'v been trying to keep track of the weights of everything I change on the gvr4 I'm currently working on.
Quote:

Parts removed entirely:
39.5 rear bumper support
6 rear tow loops: pair
8 rear bumper foam
3.5 exhaust heat shield
29.5 front bumper support (prev cut for fmic install)
40lb-EST Complete A/C system
22lb ABS pump
10lb-EST 4 wheel steering rear rack, lines, & pump
10lb -EST charcoal canister, intake brace, emmissions stuff
9lb power antenna
39lb spare tire/jack/tools/carpets - gutted trunk
6.5lb remove balance shafts
8.5lb remove fronst swaybar
9lb Cut up wiring harnesses to remove wiring for AC, cruise, ABS, alarm, power antennea, and unused engine harness plugs.
Total: 240.5lb removed

Parts modified/replaced that alter total weight:
-2.25lb Cut cast drivers side engine mount bracket above PS pump
-1.25lb cut bent end off drivers side engine mount
-2.00lb complete T3T4 setup swapped from 16G setup (tube header and o2 housing are much lighter than stock cast parts, though bigger turbo and external wg offset most of the weight loss)
-5lb Aluminum intercooler pipes
-4lb 89 Dash pad
-4lb JMF intake (10lb oem/6lb JMF)
-8lb non cruise control throttle cable
-15lb lawnmower battery instead of full size batt
-5lb plastic radiator fans
-15lb aluminum flywheel
-4lb unorthodox underdrive crank pulley
+15lb larger FMIC core (xs power 28"x12"x4" core is 23lb) (gain from stock)
+7lb 17" wheels & tires (gain from stock)
+.5lb prothane engine mounts (heavier than stock rubber/steel)
Total: ~ 43.5lb loss from modifications

Total current weight loss: ~283lb

"To-Do" list of weight loss:
manual seatbelts 20lb
evo8 seats ~40lb
coilover shocks save ~35lb compared to stock type shocks
carbon fiber hood ~30lb
interior sound deadening ~10lb
manual rack & ps delete ~15lb

Total "to do" ~150lb loss

Misc weights for GVR4 parts:
32.5 Fuel tank w/ sending unit & pump
5 Full set of exhaust hangers
17.5 Stock GVR4 15" wheel
18.75 Front shock & spring
10.5 rear shock & spring
10 rear swaybar w/ links
8.5 front swaybar w/ links
10.5 Stock intake manifold
3 gas tank heat shield
6.5 balance shafts w/ front pulley
1.5 front brake shields
11.5 stock 2g exhaust manifold
22 16G & cast o2 housing

All weights listed in LB as measured on a mechanical shipping scale

NateCrisman

12lb: rubber mat on the inside of the firewall under dash. heater core needs to come loose to remove the biggest part.
2.5lb: thick foam block under the radio & center console area.
3lb: Front ABS rings (need to either press the wheel bearing on/off or cut them out with a chisle. (I used half dremel cutoff wheel, final cut with an air chisle)

I was able to chop out over 11lb of wiring from the stock harnesses: ABS wiring, AC, and Cruise control were the main parts. I also pulled wiring related to the alarm system, power antenna, emissions,

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts