The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ignition problem, is this normal?

GSX_TC

Ok so This only happens when you've been driving for a while then park and shut it off for like 5 or 10 mins then when I go to start it up it Again it only runs on 3 cylinders and sounds like a dam subaru when u drive it. It goes back to normal after like a minute or two though. But I don't like it. It doesn't always happen just every now and then. What does this mean? My coil pack is going out? Because the wires are somewhat new and my bpr6es's are good too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

Adorsey

transistor pack may be on its way out. a failing wiring inside the jacket may be making a poor connection.

GSX_TC

where is that on on VR4's?

BPU925

same place as 1g's....under the stock fuel pressure regulator...long 8 pin plug

GSX_TC

Thanks Robin, I'll take a look at it when i get off work then

GSX_TC

Connector and box looked brand new

BPU925

shitty injector plug was the cause of my misfire like that on the vr4

GSX_TC

What did u do, upgrade to the 2g clip on style ones?

desant78

for what it's worth...when it's misfiring attach a timing light and check each cylinder. If the light goes off, then it is a throttle body (FIAV) or injector problem. If the light is not coming on..it could be the CAS, Coil pack, or transistor pack I would look at because they affect spark.

At the very least, you can determine easily if it is a fuel/air issue or spark issue.

Best of luck, and remember that we have a "fake spark" (not sure the real name) where the coil pack sends a spark during the exhaust stroke also (someone check me on this please) if this occurs and not during when it is needed, you will misfire so do not be mislead by a faint light. You will see by eye comparing the odd cylinder compared to the 3 good ones. In less words, try and make sure the frequency is the same between all three, it will be obvious if one is off, the light will be very faint.

GSX_TC

How do u attach a timing light to each cylinder?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned