The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Car won't start, battery is good, maybe it's the ignition switch?

So the other day I went out to start my car, when I put in the key I heard the familiar buzzing but when I turned it nothing. No cranking no lights on the dash, no radio. I checked the battery and it's fine. I literally drove this car yesterday and it ran perfect. What's weird is that nothing works but it senses that the key is in the ignition and buzzes like normal, even the light on the dash that says that the door is open comes on but nothing else. All the fuses are good, I checked both fuse boxes, the battery is fully charged. I suspect it may be the ignition switch but before I go pulling stuff apart I would like to get your guys opinions

MellowVR4

do you get anything at all, could be ur starter

MellowVR4

sorry i didnt read everything, yea sounds like your switch

moduleunknown

I found myself in a similar situation the other day. Drove to the gas station, filled up, couldn't start the car any more. Still had power, interior accessories worked, etc. Gave the car a quick once over and everything appeared fine.

Then it occurred to me, same thing happens when trying to start the car without pressing in the clutch. Checked the safety switch and sure enough, there was no contact between the pedal and the switch. It would seem that the plastic piece that contacts and depresses the switch when pressing in the pedal just broke and popped out. So I found myself with my body hanging half out of the car, left hand pressing switch, right hand on the ignition - car started right up. Random as all hell, but a simple fix - disconnected the switch at that point and all is well again.

Perhaps its something as simple and retarded as what happened to me.

Update: So i pulled the panels under the ignition switch and everything looked fine, out of curiosity i looked up which wire going to the switch was power and i ran a piece of wire from my battery to it and BOOM car started just fine, WTF so it looks like the switch isn't getting any power. I was able to rig up some wiring so i could get the car out of my garage and to my shop where i can work on it in a heated area, Freaking Wisconsin winter.

vegeta1170

did you check your battery terminals? a loose or corroded terminal can cause what you are seeing.

Just replaced the battery 2 weeks ago with brand new terminals, I got the car running, I had to run a new power line to the ignition switch, there must be a broken wire some where in the harness between the ignition switch and the fuse box.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned