The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I think I found what I was looking for in my GVR4

jnava

Staff member
When I first got the Galant from Skele4door aka Sanders, I had a bit of time researching and looking at other examples on the org. I started buying what I thought was what I wanted and I changed my mind so many different times trying to figure it out. I had a 2.3 that was going in and had all kinds of plans but it is gone now. . I'm come to a point in which I'm actually happy with the car and setup.
I just feel satisfied to the point I no longer wanting to be faster or high hp. I feel that the simple things and joy this car brings me is all I need anymore. Or am I just getting old? Hell, I'm going to start parking it in the garage instead of outside. I just feel that I've reached that place in which I'm happy with my galant. I hope many of you have reached that point and enjoy every minute of it. Have you reached yours?

matt92vr4

You're getting old. I'm there with you.

GSX_TC

My car def makes me happy with how she is and all the traveling she accomplished. I still have the want to keep excelling though, I'm far from being done, she has lots of places to go across the county still, and goals to meet. It's the path in doing so that makes it fun.

turbowop

I may change little things here or there on 1051, but I'm happy with the way the car sits now. I don't even want more power, as I'm afraid I'll start having to deal with drivetrain issues if I go past where I'm at. The car is unique, looks good, and is a blast out on the street.

cheekychimp

Jnava,

Yes, I can relate to those feelings exactly. Whilst I still have work to do on my project car, I really feel I have found the sweet spot with my daily now. I would like to put in some softer suspension and there are one or two cosmetic details that need tidying up but the engine and drivetrain platform really is perfect in my opinion. It is quiet, it pulls hard right off the bat, the power delivery is really smooth and it idles like stock. The CFDF clutch was a superb choice for the clutch, light pedal pressure, can be slipped and engaged smoothly as required but holds all the power that this engine can produce. The 3KGT hub and brake conversion makes for superb stopping without noise or excessive dust.

It basically drives like stock but with about 100 extra horsepower on tap. Not a monster by any means but with the 4.3 final short ratio gearbox and the AMG cyclone intake manifold it will out accelerate and keep up with almost everything I come across over here.

Last edited:

ktmrider

^^ I'm with cheeky.

Keeping the DD at a "comfortable" level is/was hard. In the end I have two, one true Daily ( Subaru, turbo series ) and the GVR4. To clarify however my wife has to drive the Subaru on occasion so I had to be thoughtful about mods on it. In fact I just had the clutch changed out, STG2 Exedy was too much for her small frame to deal with. GVR4 gets the more hairball approach like coilovers. Still drive the GVR4 "daily", now is a good example while the Scoobie clutch is being replaced.

Take the wife/kids out of the formula and things would be different.

turbohf

i feel the same on my CRX. been threw lots of setups. now its got a simple build. not fast, but quick. and im happy with the car for the most part, still needs a couple small tweaks.

GVR4 on the other hand...havent found out what i want. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif (2.4L coming soon)

boostin4door

I agree totally with that thought process. I enjoy mine and have no regrets on the path I've taken w/it. The cars are supposed to be driven and enjoyed. I actually drove it yesterday 'around the block'. Some of the owners put alot of time, money & effort [aka blood sweat & tears LOL] into them and to NOT enjoy them after all that work is odd to me. Some even start to hate the cars over time, which I understand that also. The key to me is having a realistic goal for your car & doing it the way YOU want to , not what others say you should do. These cars def aren't for everyone.

kama1

Ive reached the end of it on the blue amg,smooth,stock and reliable daily driver status.
The black one is another story.

jnava

Staff member
That's great to see other individuals in the same state of mind. I will agree that tweaking will always be a must but overall satisfaction with one's car is essential. I have noticed how some become angry and I definitely understand the frustration. I'm just glad that I purchased a running vr4 instead of a shell.

dsm10o0

Im never satisfied with any of my cars /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

matt92vr4

I started to dislike my last car. It put down 550 but it was loud, stinky, and Everytime a drove it I felt like I went a full round with Tyson. Plus I didn't have to will power to let off before 120 so it was only a matter of time before something bad happened. Thank goodness I grew up.

blacksheep

I am hoping that this time around, I will keep my gvr4 sane with basic bolt-ons. Nothing too crazy, nothing that breaks all the time. Also, I am no hurry to make it how I want it to be ASAP. Slow and steady...

jnava

Staff member
It has been a steady stream of parts and sell offs. This time, the parts are staying.

DR1665

Thread delivers.

It's so easy to get caught up in the bigger-badder-faster-more mentality. These things are just super nice to drive. When I sold 464, I did so under duress. The engine was making strange noises. I was pretty much sick of it's sh*t. Before I got it running again, I picked up my replacement daily - an 89 Montero. Drove the new truck for a month while I threw a new engine in 464 for Mike. When I drove it across town to deliver, it was like driving a 911 GT3 compared to the truck.

Looking forward to getting 195 back together this year and just enjoying it.

James

I think the reason most people get frustrated and stop enjoying the car is because they neglect the feel-nice parts for the go-fast parts. Take the time to replace your suspension and all of your bushings. Retain the creature comforts and keep it feeling like new.

cheekychimp

I think you are right James but I don't think it is so much 'neglect' as a failure to appreciate the situation before getting in over their heads. The guys that have been on here a while can tell you how many posts crop up almost monthly of guys who want to build 650 hp 'street fighters' that will be 'daily driven'. The problem is that the two terms are mutually exclusive unless you spend an absolute shitload of money.

It isn't that these guys neglect to put in the feel good parts, it's that those parts just fail to work at high horsepower levels. That's why 'most' really fast cars at the track are taken there on trailers. The truth is no-one wants to drive a car with massive rear spring rates, solid bushings and a six puck clutch on the road. It is also why I have so much respect for guys like Nate and Nelson who can build a car that is 9 sec capable and keep it streetable.

I started out with the objective of putting together a car that retained good driveability. To this end I spent more than the car cost alone on a carbon clutch in order to ensure that I could hold the power and still engage it smoothly. Despite all my efforts, I still think that in the future I will be downsizing the turbo to something more responsive and street friendly as well as installing some softer suspension.

It just really isn't possible to build a car to really high horsepower levels without any compromises in comfort. You have to go one way or the other (in my opinion). Quite frankly knowing what I know now, if I had my time again I'd approach my project build very differently. 350-400 hp in a car with minimum turbo lag is a whole heap of fun and a damn sight easier to maintain. Quite apart from which, what use is 650 horsepower when you are on jack stands? Drivers around here have far more respect for my grey car that they have seen in the flesh than the supposedly faster black one that they have only heard stories about.

Last edited:

matt92vr4

Even if you retain and maintain all of the creature comforts, 650HP kicking you in the back is like getting hit by a Mack truck. It hurts.

BpuVR4

im feeling the same way- kinda. the days of trying to be faster than the next guy is over. let's face it, our vr4's are rare and have character- which is why I assume all us chose to have one...so the cool factor will always be there. for me at the grandpa age of almost 35 instead of always looking for more HP, i really just want to build one that has a mild upgrade and make it so i can drive it anywhere for as long as I want without it breaking. if i had a bigger wallet it'd be easier, but such is life. like i said in another thread, i always think if i had a stock one (one owner event) with suspension and wheels, hard pipes and exhaust, stock turbo with fuel upgrades...it sounds pretty simple and ideal.

James

My only goal power wise is to be faster than the majority of the people on the road.

I'm not big on street racing but I do get a woody when I can embarrass some guy with his MILF wife when his mid life crisis vette loses to the 90s 4door "riceburner". I'm pretty sure I'm setting 400wheel as my power goal, coupled next to reliable and comfortable.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned