The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I need some heat proofing suggestions

turbohf

Quoting JamesFoster:
Strange. I must be out of the loop, I haven't really heard anything about the FP's cracking before. I have a ceramic coated one and it's never cracked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

its a conspiracy. you will never hear anyone talk bad about FP or ECMLink, etc...

andrew4g63

I just finished my setup with similar issues.
The problem with mine is the intercooler pipe does not fit inbetween the radiator and exhaust manifold.
I got a polished sheild like the ones jnz sells now.
I also heat blanketed the turbine and exhaust manifold.
My radiator ended up with a hole in were the intercooler pipe hit radiator when installed.
I put a 05 civic radiator in for temporary use.
My engine intake temps seemed much better even with tiny civic radiator.
Here is pic with heat sheild installed when I had fluiddyne radiator installed.

ExplicitCC

sorry to jump on this, I have the same Manifold and I'm wondering if ceramic coating is worth it? I'll end up paying 250 for the manifold, o2 housing and intercooler pipe, other option is the heat blanket for the manifold, wrap for the IC pipe and if I can figure out how to do the o2 housing, plus a metal heat shield for the manifold, what route would you go? TIA

FlyingEagle

Staff member
If there are threaded holes anywhere on these aftermarket manifolds, you can always make a less than sexy cover using old heat shielding from Ford Focus's, Mazda3's and other cars that routinely drop their metal.

I wrapped my stock manifold, 02 housing with just that same type of material. Free and keeps the heat waves away.

Just ask my alternator how much cooler it is ....

tektic

this is posted somewhere else on here. But this project was originally inspired by this thread, and dead alternators.

Also tapped my turbo housing today, but you can see the installed shield.

So now I have ceramic coating inside and outside and shields.every little bit helps. Would really like some hood vents next.

manikbastrd

As far as the Manifold blanket vs Heat wrap, I don't know if they have the same issues. Typically the issues you come across with heat wrap is water getting trapped in the wrap and heat from the engine causing excess oxidation which in turn kills your manifold. Having said that, I have the blanket on my FP manifold and have had no issues. It does a decent job of dropping the engine temps (as near as I can tell without an IAT). My overthetop IC pipe still get ridiculously hot, as does the TB Elbow pipe. I doubt there is a really great solution for this other than a million heat shields and a million dollars worth of coatings. I think that I will go to a "real" heat shield soon, and the ones posted above look great!

Best of luck!

prove_it

nasa grade gold tin foil.....

SleepinGVR4

Quoting JamesFoster:
Strange. I must be out of the loop, I haven't really heard anything about the FP's cracking before. I have a ceramic coated one and it's never cracked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Mine is ceramic coated and it cracked right at the collector.

G

Staff member

Wookalar

Quoting SleepinGVR4:
Quoting prove_it:
nasa grade gold tin foil.....

I want to do my intercooler hot pipe with this. What brand / place to get it is recommended?

Also this place....

click

Wookalar

^ whatever know it all, dont try to help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned