The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hyundai VC leaking...

GVR4_1057

Where is it leaking? Is your CAS o ring fresh?

BoostedAWD91

Quoting SleepinGVR4:
I know right. Sucks because thats the 2nd one Curtis did for me. And he milled the logo into the custom spark plug cover.

u can still use the park plug cover, just have to tweak it alittle

BoostedAWD91

he is using the hyundai bolts and it was leaking badly out the front above exhaust manifold. tried a mitsubishi gasket and hyundai gasket and rtv'd it pretty good and still leaking

JNR

Is there gunk or residue in the (gasket) channels and/or perhaps is warped pretty badly?

ktmrider

I was having a nasty leak on mine ( Mitsu cover, replaced the gasket twice ) that turned out to be a bad/stuck PCV valve.
I bought a Fram model when I first got the car and forgot about it. Every time I went into boost I pressurized the head and crankcase..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Needless to say I have an OEM one installed now, no more re-appearance of the leaks.

Last edited:

ls2gto

I had the same problem with the hyundai cover i got too. Used the hyundai nuts and gasket and it gushed out the top, by the intake manifold.. Oil was everywhere. I checked everything and i still didnt understand why.. So the old VC went back on, and NO leaks what so ever.. Dont know why it leaked though..

dmj

Replace the PCV valve first before condeming the valve cover.it is a common problem.

SleepinGVR4

The pcv isn't that old, I'll try that though. Its leaking from everywhere, front back, sides. The gasket is new, the hardware is for the vc. There is nothing in the groove. Idk, we'll see.

JNR

What exactly is different between the Hyundai and Mitsu VC's, anyway? Could that have anything to do with it? (Hyundai vc onto Mitsu head)

The Hyundai units were never designed to see boost, so if you didn't replace the PCV valve in the VC before you swapped it on you could push the tired unit over the edge and start leaking pressurized manifold air into the VC.

cOmpressor

Or just take out the crappy valve and run a catch can without dumping sludgy oil air into the intake. Just my thoughts but I really don't like the whole PCV system.

EMX5636

I'm using the Hyundai valve cover with a Fel-Pro gasket meant for it. I'm not getting any leaks. Are you still using the stud/nut combo? Mine used to leak a bit, so I went with SS allen heads and Neoprene backed washers tightened down pretty good. No more leaks. I have the right length bolts at JNZ, I ordered extra's. You could try that if the PCV doesn't fix it (I'm running a barb fitting, no PCV).

dsmer06

I've always used gaskets and studs from an Elantra gls, with the 1.8. I think 94-95 was the year? Anyways mine doesn't leak, I can get the part numbers if you need them.

dmj

I used bolts with my Hyundai cover from a 1997 Sonata.8 long bolts 6 short.Part# Hyundai 22448-33131 short [email protected] long bolt@8 both comes with washers.They are $2.44 each

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned