The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How much boost can i run safey?

So I was wondering how much boost should I be running. My setup is as follows, I have a n/a bottom end because I'm planning on running e85 really soon. I have a e3 16g, full 3" exhaust, ported 2g exhaust manifold, 550cc fic injectors, rewired 255 walbro, keydiver stage 3 chip, evo 8 front mount with jonvr4's hard pipe kit. So how much I be able to safley run? Thanks

dmj

Depends on the condition of your engine and fuel system, also a good clutch is needed I have 650 cc EVO 3 turbo 255 wally, sx regulator ebay intercooler I run 20psi all day on 93octane . I have a N/A block with a regular felpro composite head gasket

Oh ok cool, my engine was just fully rebuilt 3000 miles ago so its in great shape. And my clutch is also brand new maybe 600 miles on it, its a xtd stage 4, 4 puck sprung hub it holds awesome. I was just making sure I wasn't running too much boost I'm running 17psi

steve

Are you seeing any knock? I'd assume your stock boost gauge has been converted to show knock by the keydiver chip.

gmp

sorry to be off topic but where/what did ya get that n/a block out of?

Well I was seeing knock but it was from my knock sensor being backed out and there was a hole in my intake pipe, I fixed those and I saw it go up one bar for a split second then went away and has not knocked since then. But gmp it was the engine that jon had rebuilt quite a while ago, I think he got it from the junkyard and just rebuilt it.

Generally its all in the tuning and block internals. you will hear some people only run 5-9 psi on a stock NA block and some like mentioned above run 20.. Personally i wouldnt run anything over 10 on a NA block.

my .02
Jesse

gmp

Quoting sixsevenone:
Well I was seeing knock but it was from my knock sensor being backed out and there was a hole in my intake pipe, I fixed those and I saw it go up one bar for a split second then went away and has not knocked since then. But gmp it was the engine that jon had rebuilt quite a while ago, I think he got it from the junkyard and just rebuilt it.

Oh i heard about that i remember that motor now.

Ya it has held up pretty well so far, I really haven't had any issues to speak of with it.

I thought n/a motors were way higher compression /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I definitely wouldn't run 17psi. I'd have to agree with Jesse w on this with 10@psi tops.

464/2K

N/A compression is 9.5:1 its not that high. you really need to look into getting bigger fuel injectors. id go with 1050cc's right away. you are running those injectors at,...... im guessing 80% duty cycle with E85 at 15psi. On 91 i can max those injectors out on a 14b running 20psi. Mike you we can help you get setup to where you want to be. Its going to cost $ if you want your car to be fun for 30k miles+. you can always cheap out and push your fuel system to the edge and pray to god you get 6k miles out of it. Let me or jon know, we have that current group buy going for FIC's. Other then your injectors, you should be good. once you upgrade them, i guarantee you will max out the 16g. Its all about having the correct set up and a good tune. you should also look into DSMlink.

Ya for sure I agree 100% with you I just need the cash to get it where I want it to be, I am just gonna turn the boost down to 14psi for now and keep it at that until I can get the injectors and link. Also I am looking into gettin an aeromotive fpr soon too. So would the 1050s be pretty much all I'm gonna need or should I go with say 1200s and not have to worry about upgrading to bigger in the future?

dmj

I run 20psi on my N/A block because it was rebuilt with stock factory turbo pistons I also run a Keydiver chip I do get about 2 bars of Knock on the boost guage on extremely hot days though.Other than that car is fine. This is my DD and I lean on it every chance I get, no fun if you don't enjoy it.

^^ You say you get two bars of knock on hot days? Do you happen to be running a stock IC?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned