The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

HID kits?

Hasn't this been beaten to death? China HID conversions aren't optimal on road. Off road they are nice, they illuminate the forest/desert/wilderness/wtfe. On the road they blind oncoming traffic and make me want to unload a clip at your car when that oncoming traffic is me.

Turboman_456

Just get your kit and angle them downward that will take care of the blinding oncoming cars, the glare will be more than enough to see from,and there will be no need to empty clips!

Whoodoo

Good idea... Put a bulb that puts out more light into the wrong kind of headlight, but in order to not blind people with the glare, point them in a direction where they will be useless anyways.

I totally agree with your argument on light output. Yes, even a cheapo HID bulb will put out more than a halogen. However, the quality of illumination you get from the stock lights is sooooo much better than said cheapo HID kit.

Why do you need any more light than stock anyways? My car has some of the best headlights of any car I've ever driven. If you really want more light because you legitimately want more light, either do a retrofit the right way, or get a JDM from with projectors.

mpt72

Go purchase those fancy bulbs from vatozone or wherever. The silverstars iirc. They are brighter, have a "whiter" color, and only run like 50 bucks. That's what I'm running, and it lights up the road like daylight.

Spam

In my van I had a short somewhere that I couldn't trace down....It kept blowing out one of my headlights so I figured a ballast could regulate what was going through the bulbs. I ended up buying one of the cheapo HID kits from Ebay and let me tell you...BRIGHT. I make blind people squint. When I flash my highbeams what is in front of me gets dimmer.

I know it's extremely inconsiderate (especially in a van on 20s) but I'm not changing them...and am getting some for the Galant.

Whoodoo

So you are admitting that having cheap HID bulbs in your headlights that are made for an incandescent light is a dick move to others that share the road, but yet are going to replicate the same situation in another car because its cheap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

If its worth doing, isn't it worth doing right?

Romanova

Rather have JDM headlights with higher wattage bulbs and a relay system...

SleepinGVR4

Quoting Whoodoo:
So you are admitting that having cheap HID bulbs in your headlights that are made for an incandescent light is a dick move to others that share the road, but yet are going to replicate the same situation in another car because its cheap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

If its worth doing, isn't it worth doing right?

+1. You shouldn't be allowed to own a Galant.

Spam

Since you're the authority on who should own Galants I guess I should get rid of mine after having owned one for majority of past 17 years....maybe I should also get rid of my 745, RX7, Supra and Sherrod conversion van as well and just walk.

Having loud exhaust and turbocharged cars that pollute is kinda dick too. Way to make the world a better place for your kid's future.

My initial reply was kind of in response saying light quality decreases with the cheap HIDs...I was just saying something to the contrary. Feel free to judge.

turbowop

Quoting Spam:
When I flash my highbeams what is in front of me gets dimmer.

Bullshit. The highbeams on the GVR4's are probably the best lighting I've even seen on any car. They throw so much f***ing light down the road, it's almost unbelievable.

And besides that, our low beams stay on when the high beams are switched on, so unless your sh*t is wired funky, something else is going on there.

mitsuturbo

Quoting Spam:
maybe I should also get rid of my 745, RX7, Supra and Sherrod conversion van as well and just walk.

in4this!

Don't waste any time. Do it. Do it tonight!

Spam

You silly internet nerds crack me up...my only point is, they are bright and they are useful to me. Annoying to some? Probably. Practical to me? Completely.

I completely agree with Iceman's second paragraph...

turbowop

So you agree with Iceman that it decreases performance, and that's practical to you?

And who's the internet nerds? You're right here with us.

Spam

I was talking about the internet nerds telling me to get rid of my cars because I have some light in my van...funny how more bold people get as their post count increases.

I was talking about Iceman's reference to JDM headlights in a USDM car. People seem to do it all the time...for looks or whatever. I can't really find a hate thread on those.

All I know is the HIDs I have make the road brighter and I can see farther. Nothing anyone can say will convince me that that isn't happening for me. If you think that is a decrease in performance that is cool too. Doesn't upset me in the slightest. I didn't know this forum was so passionate about some lights.

Whoodoo

JDM headlights: some types have city lights, which offer a little asian flare some people go for. I don't disagree with it because the function of the lights is still up to par, but alternatively, its not something I would do myself.

Passionate about lights: its not so much the subject I'm passionate about, it's the preservation of the gvr4's status as 'not just another riced out import' that gets me fired up. I hate all the flat brimmed wannabe gangsters who rice their civics and I want to keep that mentality out of our community because I think #1 - we're better than that and #2 - the gvr4 is rare enough as it is and we don't need good cars ruined with bad taste.

Of course, all of this stuff about taste and looks is subjective and everyone is entitled to their opinions. But when it comes to something like this HID thing where it affects everyone else, then I have to pipe up a little louder than my usual.

If you are just using cheap HIDs in your high beams, then fine. I'll be able to think to myself that you are actually diminishing your lights' performance, but that's as far as I'll go. If you use them for your lows and are being annoying or dangerous to everyone else, then not only am I going to think you are a dick, but I'm also going to get up on this forum and try to convince you to change it or do it right.

To each their own, but you gotta follow the golden rule. Everyone hates getting really bright annoying lights coming at you and if you say you don't because you know you are that guy, then you are just lying.

Oh and in conclusion, I'm really annoyed there is another one of these exact same threads in the tech section. At least this one's title is spelled correctly.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
Quoting Spam:
In my van I had a short somewhere that I couldn't trace down....It kept blowing out one of my headlights so I figured a ballast could regulate what was going through the bulbs. I ended up buying one of the cheapo HID kits from Ebay and let me tell you...BRIGHT. I make blind people squint. When I flash my highbeams what is in front of me gets dimmer.

I know it's extremely inconsiderate (especially in a van on 20s) but I'm not changing them...and am getting some for the Galant.

So from here forth with and going forward I hereby ban all non oem non retrofit hid kits on said galant
and in accordance with galantvr4 law section 121 article 2 evo suspensions (VIII-X)modded or adapted to
said galant chassis is deemed illegal, immoral and unsafe due to non oem welding and is also outlawed and
while we are at remove all 4 bolt rear ends and 3000gt calipers with unproven race brackets and re-drilled
rotors to make them fit on 4 lug setups that may endanger said galants and other vehicles. Anyone found
in violation of these laws will be immediately banned from this board picked up and be executed on the spot.

Whoodoo

I see your point, but there is a pretty big difference between between cheap HID's and all the other things you listed (evo suspension, 3kgt brakes, 4 bolts).

Headlights done wrong do affect other drivers. All those other things done wrong may affect others, but only if they fail. It's pretty hard to mess up a 4 bolt swap. Brake caliper brackets are tried and true throughout the automotive aftermarket. Even evo suspension is hard to screw up. Yes, you have to weld on a strut, but unless you actually blow it up, the worst thing that could happen is you change the properties of it's fluid.

Plus, none of those things are done as an afterthought. Evo suspension, while inexpensive, isn't extremely easy to do. These HID kits are the epitome of being cheap and lazy.

turbowop

Everything Blown mentioned is an improvement. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Everything about HID's in reflector housings is pure fail. Talk about a horrible analogy.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned