The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

help doing engine swap in my '92 eagle 2000 GTX ('92 Galant)

cspetros

Coolness. There's going to be some bodywork going on. This might help:
Body rust

I'm not sure if they sell it in NB but there's this stuff called "PB Blaster", it's a penetrating oil in a spray can that works wonders on rusted bolts and stuff. Get a can of it, or I'll send you one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. It might improve your bolt removal success. What are you using to remove them(wrenches, sockets, etc)?

Woosky117

yeah, i never heard of that stuff.
that would be some good stuff to have.
ill see if i can find any around here, but ive never seen it around here before.

i use a socket wrench, aka a ratchet.

and it always turns out one of three ways... it turns, it slips, or it brakes.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

so woosky what mods did you decide to go with? i have a galant gsx thats i'm moddify and am not going to turbo for awhile

Woosky117

well, i beleive im gonna stick with the DOHC non turbo engine.

unfortunately i havent been able to work on my car at all this week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

altho i just made a purchase for both front fenders for $150 shipped. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
they should be arriving in a week or so.

and im pending a buy for the tail light, and two door latches, but the guy doesnt realy want to seperate the sets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif i dont need the entire thing!

next i would be looking for a rad, and i may have someone that will sell one to me cheap.

the more expensive stuff like the rack, the ecu, the wiring harness, and the engine, will have to come later when i finaly start that seccond job with my parents, and get the money to pay for them. but all in due time.

me starting this second job with them is realy gonna limit the time i can work on the rest of that body rust.... but at least ill have money for the parts.

maroonmetallic

It looks like you have your work cut out for you.
Im kinda shocked I havent replied to this build post before.

Regardless, I think sticking w/ a N/T engine is the best route.
I'm not too sure how much hp the N/T automatic trans can handle but I doubt it's
as much as a turbo trans.

Best of luck w/ the build I'll be following it as I have one of my own.

-Shawn

Woosky117

nice car! love the color. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

my car is manual transmition, and fwd.
and yeah i considered the turbo trany.
but ill stick with na. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

fivestardsm

Quoting maroonmetallic:
It looks like you have your work cut out for you.
Im kinda shocked I havent replied to this build post before.

Regardless, I think sticking w/ a N/T engine is the best route.
I'm not too sure how much hp the N/T automatic trans can handle but I doubt it's
as much as a turbo trans.

Best of luck w/ the build I'll be following it as I have one of my own.

-Shawn

Just so you know, the auto trans in the SOHC's are very week. Not sure if they are the same internals as the DSM's but even then, those were junk crap also. Of course, I might be a little biased concidering I have ruined so many of them.

Woosky117

so an update from the last time i posted.

the buying frenzy begins!

i have worked out a deal with my parents. i am borrowing money from my parents to get the car back on the road, and legal, and in my name, .... before the last weekend of this month. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif
i will of course pay them the money back, its just i need all this stuff now.

what i have bought, and am waiting for already is...
- the fenders (red)
- the tail light
- the dohc n/t ecu
- the rad (aluminum, and i almost have it, im just waiting on a refund so i can pay the guy for it)

what i still need to buy is...
- the complete dohc n/t 4g63 engine
- clutch kit (will be buying tomorrow)
- the dohc n/t wiring harness
- the rack & pinion (will be buying either tomorrow, or the day after)

then the legalities i have to get are...
- the insurance put onto the car
- the car to be put in my name, and registered
- and to get it to pass inspection

so seeing as this is gonna become very fast paced, quite quickly, we'll see what happens!

i will try to make as much documentation, and pics, as i can.

lets see how fast i can get this bad-boy done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

wish me luck! i sure as hell am gonna need it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

cspetros

Coolness! Post up your questions if you have any. Best of luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

Woosky117

further update...

i can now cross off a few more things on the list.
i just bought...
- the clutch kit (now have)
- the rack & pinion (now have)
- and the radiator (awaiting shipment)
and the rest of the stuff i have bought..
- the fenders (red) (awating shipment)
- the tail light (awating shipment)
- the dohc n/t ecu (awating shipment)

so that means i only have two things left on the list...
- the 4G63 DOHC N/T complete engine
- and the wiring harness

i will be going up to install the rack & pinion tomorrow, and hope that there is nothing wrong with it.

Woosky117

I HAVE BOUGHT THE ENGINE!!!!!

4G63 DOHC non turbo. complete engine.
ended up being $892.30 (can) total - shipping and taxes included.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

will arrive here in the next 5-10 business days.

i cant wait!

all i need now is the wiring harness!
guys, help me out, please!

if you know anyone that has the wiring harness that i need, please tell them to send me a pm.
thanks!

cspetros

Rock awesome! My Pull-A-Part date is coming up soon. If you still need that harness by then, I'll see if I can hunt one down for you.

Woosky117

im pending a harness sale right now. still working out the price.

now seeing as almost all my parts will arrive in a week, i have that long to get the rest of the car preped. get the rust all sanded down, and bodyfilled.

altho one major problem right now is goint to be getting this thing mounted up.
any ideas on how to fix this? the front of the engine mounts to this.
i need some way to weld the threads to a plate, and welding that plate to the rest of the car. its gonna take some custom fabrication. but i just need pointers on how to do this best. thanks.

Woosky117

so heres an update of the work i did on friday.

i installed the rack and pinion that i bought. no looseness in the wheel anymore! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
i got the drivers side fender off. the grill, and the light.
next is gonna be taking the other fender off.

there is a little bit of rust that was under the fender, but were gonna cut that out, and weld in another piece. if you look, you can see one of the bolts that holds on the fender is still there, and with a little piece of the fender. the bolt was slipping, and it was impossible to get out. so i just cut around it.

here is the fender when i finaly got it off. as you can see, one of the corners is ripped off. that thing was in bad shape.

and this is the new clutch kit that i bought.

best of all, i will most likely get my engine monday, as it already arrived in the city of moncton on friday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif i am so excited!
ill be trying to get as much work as i can, done tomorrow, so that i can get to the engine sooner. ill keep you guys posted!

Woosky117

alright so i bought the wiring harness (finaly) and now i am just waiting for everything to come in. my engine will most likely be in tomorrow, and i have arranged for a friend with a trailer to have the engine loaded onto that, so that it will be much easier to manuver, and chain up, and out, and into the car.

just one question, should i remove my old wiring harness first, and then install the new one when it comes in, or does it make a difference?

cspetros

When you pull the old harness, take careful notes about what connectors go where. You'll be playing a bit of "identify that connector". We can help you with that.

Also, it's a good idea to clean/paint the engine bay while the engine is out.

Now is also the time to decide if you're going to attach the tranny before or after the engine is installed.

Also, keep in mind that your tachometer will be slightly inaccurate, being a SOHC tach (8k rpm max). This was addressed in an earlier post.

Sounds like things are moving right along. Awesome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Woosky117

just got the engine yesterday, and took it to where im working on the car.

i got the two fenders, and the tail light today.

have both fenders removed, but i still have to remove the bumper so that i can get at the damaged areas that were under the fenders. more broken bolts, and rust holes.
gonna be welding on new peices of metal so that i can actualy mount the fenders right.
then, there is still the whole part under the car that has to be done so that i can put in the motor.

i am now only waiting for the rad, the ecu, and the wiring harness. i am expecting to get them all over the next few days.

i took some more pics today, but im just too tired to put them up right now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

ill try to get them up tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Woosky117

alright, so heres the pics i said i would put up.

so the engine arrived. i was soooo stoked about that.

and the fenders and the tail light came in the next day.

unwrapped the engine

i installed the tail light in today. finaly after 2 years, i have the right tail light!
and it looks good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

there is the one belt on the engine that confuses me.

is that the belt for the air conditioning? if it is, i dont have ac. should i go thru the hassle of taking off the belt, or just cutting it off? it looks like a good belt.

well, thats all i have now.
ill keep taking pics as the work progresses.
feel free to post any comments or suggestions.

the main part that i am concentrating on right now is the metal frame work, where its rusted thru. there are only three realy major spots that need to have new metal welded in. the cross member, and the parts just underneith both fenders.

i got the flywheel put on. will be installing the rest of the clutch later.

still some body rust to take care of.

ill keep you guys updated on my project.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts