The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

help doing engine swap in my '92 eagle 2000 GTX ('92 Galant)

Woosky117

i can still try a local yard...

and its loose. i can move the steering wheel with my pinky finger an inch both ways without moving the wheels. and becasue its bad, i can even get my wheels aligned.

cspetros

Keep us posted on your project. I for one am interested in this, as I've never done anything with a SOHC Galant, and the information may be useful sometime in the future.

I'll be pulling the old engine (to replace) out of my DOHC G-GS sometime in the next few days. I'll be using this opportunity to jump down into the engine bay and clean up the 18 years worth of nastiness that has accumulated.

Good luck man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Woosky117

ill have some pics posted tonight.
t fanaly took everything reusable off of the engine,
which in turn is making my trunk fuller. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
my goal today is to get started on removing the steering rack.
ill try to take some pics of that too.

Woosky117

alright, so heres the pics i said i would put up.

this is the work ive done for the last couple days (only a few hours each day)

got most of the reusable stuff off the engine.
(got a bit of an oil slick there... oops)

and i do all that work on this little plywood trailer in the rain. lol
it looks so sad now...

and of course that adds even more stuff in my trunk.
a lot of this extra stuff im gonna end up selling, if its already on the new motor i get.

this is the tail light im supposed to have...

and this is the one i was sent from a junk yard...WRONG ONE! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
and this happened when the car was still running.
i backed into a wooden trash can holder and busted the light.
it was a small parking space outside a friends condo housing, and i was stuck in snow.
had to rock back and forth, and then finaly when i gripped, i only would of had a split seccond to hit the brake. i didnt make it. it realy didnt help that it was mostly covered in snow, and was just the right hight that i didnt see in the mirror.
if anyone has a right tail light that matches the one above, please let me know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

this is before i got the car jacked up... got a nice little rust hole there...

now i got the car jacked up on both sides with blocks.
that is one rusty rotor! anyone know how to clean that up nice?
its only been sitting a year and a half, thru 2 of our canadian winters...
theres the pin i have to take out for the rack.

progress so far...
- got the car jacked up on blocks with enough room under the car to work well enough.
- got the wheels removed, only to find the rusted rotors.
- knocked the pins for the rack out on both sides.

what next...
- taking all the bolts off the rack, and sliding the rack and pinion out the drivers side wheel well.
- get started on all that rust in the body work.
- try to find second job to pay for parts... parents say i cant take money from current job, because that all goes toward school (darn).

will try to take more pics when i get the rack out, and when i start the body work.

cspetros

Looking good, looking good. As far as that rust on the rotor, if it's only on the surface, a good drive around the block would be enough to break it loose. My Galant sat in a garage for over a year, and the rotors had rust on them. After driving it for a few days, the rust fled, and they looked nice and shiny.

There's a guy 8 hours away from you in Massachusetts selling a '92 right-side taillight on ebay for $25: Here's the page (Canada eBay version /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif)
Nice cart btw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

Woosky117

lol thanks. hey if you think that 'cart' is funny, check this out...

i saw this last summer in my city of moncton.
and it was for sale too!

watch out! it might eat you!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

cspetros

Dude! A Nissan Pulsar NX! A guy was selling one here locally, and my sister almost bought it (not "altered" like the one in the^^ pic, though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif). She didn't because the engine was worn out. Here are a couple of pics of it:

Last edited:

14u2nV

Just run a wire wheel around those rotors a couple times, and it'll come right off. I've cleaned up tons of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

cspetros

Link fixed. In case it still isn't working (it works here for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif) the item number is 370043922462. Just paste that into the eBay search field.

Woosky117

lol nice. you know if you actualy look closer at the beast, you can see that it used to be red. looks like it was just painted over flat black spray paint.

Woosky117

thanks guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
anyway, im peace out.
...its like 3:10 am here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

zzzzzzz....

Woosky117

oh, btw i checked out the tail light that you mentioned, and its not realy the best looking. apperantly its go a crack or something in the back that has let in some condensation. its all wet inside.
didnt get a chance to work on my car this weekend, but i will be continueing tomorrow (hopefully) and ill take some more pics of the progress then.

cspetros

Quote:
didnt get a chance to work on my car this weekend

Me neither. It's been raining torrentially the past couple of days in this region. I put a tarp on the ground under the car in hopes of staying dry, but I was soaked in minutes. To hell with that. It's time to clean out the garage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

THEKID

the first motor from jdm engine depot if that's the depot in Patterson nj dont buy from them i know them personally and they are shady as all hell they have ripped off so many local shops its ridiculous.

Woosky117

im now only realy considering the one from jdm montreal for engines.

now... build update!

so as i was saying, i have the car up on blocks now.
i started removing the rack and pinion, but didnt quite get it done today.
turns out, it cant slide out the side, but it seems like it will be able to come down straight, i just need to remove a couple more things.

this is under my car.
looks ok, but it turns out it had a few surprises for me.
this car was undercoated... about 17 years ago.
most of the rust is just surface.

this is what happens when you try to unscrew 17 year old bolts, out of rusted out metal.
now i have a gapeing hole.
gonna find a way to somehow get that mounted back up... eventualy.

this peice, and several other smaller peices, easily came off from around my gas tank. it comes appart like braking semi hard cookies. mmmm... cookies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

can someone please explain this?
anyone care to guess? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
lol, it goes 'ting' when you flick it, and is commonly found on street signs.

if you guessed, galvanized pipe, you would be correct.
here i was, looking under my car, then some silver metal caught my attention from the rest of the rusty under body. at first i was like.. huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
and then after further investigation, i thought, omg, why is there a two foot length of galvanized pipe stuck right in the middle of my exaust? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif
there was not one rust spot on it anywhere! i was like, well thats different...
anyone ever seen this done before? i thought it was halarious! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

well, thats it for today, but hopefuly, ill have the rack out tomorrow.
ill post a pic of that, and hopefuly i can get started on the body, and get a pic or two of that too.

cspetros

Woosky, just out of curiosity... how bad is the rust? Where is it at, and is it eating though important parts, like the suspension areas, etc? Not even Cookie Monster wants those kind of cookies
cookiemonster.gif
lol
Nice fix on that exhaust pipe. You'll never ever have to replace that section
cookie.gif

Woosky117

the suspension areas (like the shock towers) are rock solid. no rust at all.
and everything else is still very sturdy.

oh, and apperantly that exaust pipe got a hole in it years ago, so my parents got it repaired. now, i wonder who thought to replace it with that? lol

cspetros

^^Good. I've seen VR4's on the board here that have had to be parted out due to rust issues. It is not pretty. You may now proceed with making it awesome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You're making a lot of progress on this. Also, you might be interested to know that this thread is in 5th place at the moment for highest number of views in the newbies section. You're being watched /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif (no worries).

Last edited:

Woosky117

alright, so this is what i got done today...

btw, these are my shock towers.
i would say they look good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ok, now onto progress.

finaly removed the rack and pinion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

lesson for the day! old bolts brake easily!
i swear, i must have broken all but 3 of the bolts i took out!

and one of those bolts didnt even come out.
that bolt head turned into a circle, instead of being a hexagon.
i ended up just bending it down out of the way.

i find out the steering rack had been replaced before!
you cant get any quality at a junk yard these days... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

these fenders arent looking too healthy...

and this is all the same fender.
with so much rust eaten right thru, im probably gonna have to just replace it.

and this spot is further down the car, below the back door.
its not as bad... but its still not good...

next on the list...
- keep finding rust
- start working on the rust
- get more money (that alwais helps)
- get parts needed (eventualy)

and with that i leave you my dream car...

and my dream car tuned...

(actualy i should update that... my rims would be black, with the red pin stripe)
(and i'd prbly loose the decal, but idk, i kinda like it)

ill try to post any more progress (if any) tomorrow.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned