The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

help doing engine swap in my '92 eagle 2000 GTX ('92 Galant)

cspetros

I know some people with non-turbo's mod their intake into a box so that it is insulated from under-hood heat, and some put a scoop on the hood to let cool air into this insulated area. Here is a pic:

One mod that is popular with N/Ts is getting rid of the restrictive air-can that surrounds the air filter. There's a VFAQ (another great site) page on it: Clicky

Both of my Galant's are N/T, but I haven't done any mods to them. They're just getting me by as daily drivers until I get a VR4. I had thought about turbo-converting my GSX, but for a number of reasons, I'm keeping it N/T. I'll save the creative genius for the VR4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

Woosky117

thanks for the info!
i was wondering what i could do with that can. lol

definately sounds like something i could do when i get my new engine! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Woosky117

ok so here is the number i got off the ECU.

MD161840
E2T36278
0707 A

and its newer than the car too.

apperantly my dad got it replaced a few years back.

so do i need a new ECU if i put the DOHC in there?

(pics will be up later tonight. im posting this just before work)

cspetros

This model ECU was used from late 1989, to mid 1992 in SOHC Galants/2000GTXs:
MD161840 Base L4-1997cc 2.0L N/A FI V FED SOHC

All of our ECU's had issues with the capacitors leaking, so I bet that's why it was replaced at some point.

I sent a PM over to Keydiver about this (maybe he'll reply to this thread). My guess is that you do need another ECU, but I'm not sure enough, and I don't want to tell you something wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I know the injectors are different, and maybe the cam angle sensor, since it's a SOHC, instead of DOHC. I would hope, also, that the wiring harnesses are the same /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif.

Last edited:

Doesn't the SOHC have a distributor-type ignition? The DOHC is distributorless, so you will need to convert the ECU and ignition system. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

cspetros

You're right, Keydiver. Manual says: SOHC engines have distributors. This is an extra variable in the swap equation. Woosky, if you get an engine, hopefully it'll come with the coil pack (the ones above say distributor, but I think they just referring to the ignition components). I'm not sure if this is a direct "plug and play" sort of thing with regard to the wiring harness. It would be nice to have a DOHC Galant there to compare to your car. This is definitely going to be an interesting project...

Last edited:

Woosky117

uber thanks for the info guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif
it realy helps me know what i should be looking for right now.
the engine that i said i found in montreal has the following specs..
Engine Code 4G63
Valvetrain 4 Cyl. 16 Valve, DOHC
Displacement . . . . . . . . . . . 1997cc
Complete Motor - Block and Head . .Yes
Transmission . . . . . . . . . . . No Transmission
Engine Control Unit (ECU) . . . . .No
Cam-Angle Sensor . . . . . . . . . No
Distributor . . . . . . . . . . . .Yes
Intake Manifold . . . . . . . . . .Yes
Exhaust Manifold . . . . . . . . . Yes
Alternator . . . . . . . . . . . . Yes
Starter . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Yes
Throttle Body . . . . . . . . . . .Yes
Injectors . . . . . . . . . . . . .Yes
Air Conditioning Pump . . . . . . .No
Power Steering Pump . . . . . . . .No
Intercooler . . . . . . . . . . . .No

unfortunately there are no pics of it.

now, considering out of all of that, what do i need to buy, and what can i use off my old engine? and supposing the wiring harness is different (which it prbly is) where can i get the right one, and how would i go about installing all that?

Woosky117

i also said i would post some pics of the work so far.
so here they are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
(these pics were taken with my cell)

(yes, that is my hood...on my roof)

i have my engine pulled out already.
and thats the transmission beside it.
(oh and it turns out the flywheel should still be fine to use)

this is what is left of my clutch pad...
(it was starting to grind the rivets)

it looks so empty now...

and i wasnt kidding when i said my rad had rotted out!

touch it with anything, and it would just crumble to powder.

ive almost got the whole front of the car, in the back of my car.

so thats what it all looks like up to date... just wait until i pull the rack out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif
and then i get started on body work too.

its sad how bad a car has to look, before it can look good again.
but its worth it!

Woosky117

Quoting cspetros:
This model ECU was used from late 1989, to mid 1992 in SOHC Galants/2000GTXs:
MD161840 Base L4-1997cc 2.0L N/A FI V FED SOHC

the new DOHC engine has 1997cc... does that change anything? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

oh nvm. you were talking about the injectors.

Last edited:

As I recall NA flywheel, clutch, and PP parts are different than Turbo motors also.

fivestardsm

Ok...

So you decided to do the DOHC swap in place of the SOHC..
If you are going turbo, then you are going to have a little more dificult time, then if you ar egoing non turbo. Not to much of a big deal tho, but if I was you, I would try to source a wireing harness. You ar enot going to beable to run the one you have because, like was stated before, you have a distributer model galant, and you are going to be outting in a coil system in. If you go to car-part.com , you can fill in the blanks and find a DOHC non turbo harness. I looked it up in the Northwest regin, and there is one in Vermont. You can expand your search, because 99% of the vendors on the site will ship. If you search for one in Michigan, there was a VR4 on there a while back. Other than that, look up in the parts for sale section, and you will find several part outs going on. These are going to be usefull if you are going to go to a turbo engine. You will already have the plugs for the boost solenoid (if you run the stock one) and also wires like the knock sensor plug.

As for the trans, if you are putting a turbo motor in the car, your SOHC trans is going to granade after a few hundred miles or so. If you still want to run that trans on the turbo motor tho, I belive I still have a friend that has an ATC clutch for a non turbo. At least it would help it survive a little bit longer.

So before you jump into it with out makeing sure of what you need, search around for the parts to do it.

Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Burgundy rocks BTW...
This is pretty much just like yours. SOHC with an auto tho and manual windows. Dosent even have the cruise.

Last edited:

cspetros

Wow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif You're way further along on this than I thought! Quote:
its sad how bad a car has to look, before it can look good again. But its worth it!

You have to keep that awesome picture of the end result in mind! Yours will polish up just like fivestardsm's rock awesome Galant^^^.

Alright... get your brain ready for programming /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. According to the manual's circuit diagrams, etc., there are a few things to note about this, and most of them are not pleasant /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif :

Ignition:The connections for the ignition circuit between the SOHC and DOHC are definitely different. No distributor for the DOHC, and the ignition power transistor connector has more wires. This means that the wiring harness is different. If you are brave, you could probably wire this up yourself without the fancy harness connectors. The diagrams are incredibly accurate; they give information down to the individual colored wires, exactly where they come from, and where they go to.

Tachometer:Since your Galant(2000GTX) is a SOHC model, the tachometer only reads to 8000rpm. The DOHC models read up to 9000rpm. They get their signals from slightly different places under the hood.

Cam & Crank Angle Sensor (CAS): The connectors for the 1992 SOHC CAS and the 1992 DOHC CAS are the same, BUT the SOHC CAS gets it's power directly from the ignition switch, while the DOHC CAS gets it's power from the MFI Relay on the same circuit branch as the fuel injectors. This can probably be overlooked; the difference is that the SOHC CAS has power when the key is in the "on" position, even when the engine is not running.

Idle Air Control (IAC): The SOHC uses a single coil motor, while the DOHC uses a dual coil motor. The SOHC harness connector only has 2 wires (from 2 pins) running to it from the ECU. The DOHC connector has 4 wires (from 4 pins). You would have to run 2 extra wires from the DOHC's IAC to the 2 other pins on the ECU to make it work with your harness.

There are other differences, and I'll go through and list them if you decide to do the wiring job yourself. Otherwise, I'm tired, and I'm ending it here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The easy alternative is to buy a DOHC non-turbo harness. If you're the do-it-yourself type and want to wire it up yourself, then more power to you. It could be done, but it's time consuming. You make the choice. Post up your questions, and good luck man! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SOHC Ignition circuit (notice the smaller Ignition transistor, and the tachometer branch)

DOHC Ignition circuit and connectors (bigger Ign. trans., tach signal comes from wire #4, shared with ecu pin 109)

Last edited:

cspetros

Quoting Woosky117:
the new DOHC engine has 1997cc... does that change anything? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
oh nvm. you were talking about the injectors.

1997cc just refers to the displacement of the 4g63 engine. The displacement is the same for both the SOHC and DOHC versions, because the blocks are identical. The injectors on the SOHC were 210cc, versus the 240cc DOHC injectors. That means that the SOHC injectors output 30cc less fuel volume for the same "amount of time turned on", as the DOHC injectors. If I explained that wrong, somebody else should be compelled to correct me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Woosky117

thanks for the heads up about the rest of that stuff.

ill definately be looking to buy a replacement wiring harness.
(sure im a do-it-yourself type guy, but to a point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

so i guess right now i have to find an ECU, a wiring harness, and cam angle sensors?
tell me if i missed anything. i want this done right the first time, so help is always welcome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

cspetros

If you buy an engine, it will include the cam angle sensor. It's part of the head. One less item on the list /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So, you just need a non-turbo ECU, and a harness. Post up an ad in the Wanted to Buy section to see if anyone has these items. If you get a turbo wiring harness, the Mass Airflow Sensor connector won't fit your MAS (the turbo models have a couple of extra wires). Other than that, it should be ok.

Edit: I see your post for JSchleim's G-GSX partout. If that works out, the would be awesome.

Last edited:

Woosky117

thanks for that clarification.
and i took your advice, and just posted a WTB add.

hopefully ill get a good turn out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

and now.....we wait. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Woosky117

ok, so ive got some good results on the WTB add. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
ill leave it up for a couple days before i make a final decision.

now, ive been looking for other parts that i NEED to buy, and this is what ive found so far.

Cooling System : Radiator - - - $110.79 + $42.76
SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # CU233 {#233 (Only 8 Remaining)}

Clutch : Clutch Kit - - - $108.79 + $42.02
SACHS Part # KF73501
2WD, DOHC; OD: 8 7/8; Size ID: 7/8; TEETH: 20T
DOHC, 2WD; OD: 8 7/8; Size ID: 7/8; TEETH: 20T

Steering : Rack and Pinion Complete Unit - - - $339.79 + $62.06
ACDELCO Part # 3612188 {#88990698}
GEAR,STRG (REMAN-RACK & PINION-POWER COMPLETE) w/FWD

if you know any place i can get these parts cheaper, or even better, in canada,
please let me know! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Struc

Don't spend that kind of $$$ on a radiator, unless you really want it stock looking. Lots of guys here have installed smaller, but thicker Civic aftermarket radiators for under $75 shipped.

And the steering rack - I gotta think it would be worth it to just get a used one, for that price.

Woosky117

know anyone that is selling a used one?

i will buy almost any of these parts used if i can.

fivestardsm

Steering : Rack and Pinion Complete Unit - - - $339.79 + $62.06
ACDELCO Part # 3612188 {#88990698}
GEAR,STRG (REMAN-RACK & PINION-POWER COMPLETE) w/FWD

WOW!!

The DSM's are the same rack. I am sure that you can find one nfor $50 or so. What about your local yards?

Also, what is wrong with yours?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned