The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hello from southern Finland

dandanger

Thought I also introduce myself here, I've been reading and lurking here for three years, and bought my VR4 about 1,5 years ago. I previously owned 3 FWD N/A Galants and a Diamante, so I'm not new to Mitsus but new to trubo and 4wd. Found this place to have much better info about my current car than other the "general" forums, so I made an account here.

Some specs about car and mods I've made so far:

1991 JDM VR4 facelift, stock Big 16g turbo
ECU recapped and with Ostrich emulator, self tuned on road
2,5" full exhaust with one free flow muffler (custom made by Ilotalo)
No cat (local law doesn't require one for this car so I took it off)
Manual boost controller (ball&spring mechanism), boost now about 1bar
K&N in stock air can
Kingsborne spark plug wires (well the old ones sucked so much oil in them and cracked)
Evo 3 Momo steering wheel
BC V1 coilovers
17" rims

Some pics

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Meeting with my friend who has a Monte Carlo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

main.php

Last summer's result in dyno, weather was hot like hell..

Jesus_Negros

Wow nice! thanks for sharing the pics.

DR1665

Welcome! Super clean Galant, too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

A couple questions for you:
+ Are all cars in Finland RHD or did you pick up a UK model?
+ How easy is learning English when you grew up speaking Finnish? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Seems like we're getting a number of international members 'round these parts lately - and that's awesome.

Barnes

Car looks fantastic. Welcome to the board. You will find a much larger knowledge base for your car here than anywhere else.

RedTwo

For a moment there I was reading the dyno graph wrong and you were putting out 360+ HP on a 16G /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

dandanger

Quoting DR1665:
Welcome! Super clean Galant, too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

A couple questions for you:
+ Are all cars in Finland RHD or did you pick up a UK model?
+ How easy is learning English when you grew up speaking Finnish? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Seems like we're getting a number of international members 'round these parts lately - and that's awesome.

Thx!

Well there's actually one usdm VR4 in Finland, but all other are RHD JDM models here. All of them has been imported within few years from now(except for the US model which owner I don't know personnally). I imported direct from Japan.

Learning english in Finland is more or less obligatory so I think all of us have some kind of knowledge in english, maybe not perfect but hopefully understandable...

dandanger

Quoting RedTwo:
For a moment there I was reading the dyno graph wrong and you were putting out 360+ HP on a 16G /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

My goal is about 350 HP..we'll see how far I can get with this turbo. The car has now just under 90.000km(~60.00 0miles) on it, so everything's in quite good shape.

fuel

nice! an evolution version too..

GIjoe

very nice car man! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Dasith

did that strut brace came from japan or did you source it locally?

dandanger

Bought it from a friend who had it on his old fwd GLSi. It's someone's custom-handmade and very solid stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Btw the GLSi had way over 500.000km's in odo when it was scrapped /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

dandanger

And then to the to-do's and future improvements:

-Phantom knock, seems the sensor is fine, and by taking MUCH of ignition it's better now, but still getting quite much knock counts. The guy at dyno listened the knock and there was none real knock. Btw JDM ignition map is mindless, I think they are made for +100 oct gasoline.
-Fuel pump change, I have one Evo 7 stock fuel pump and plan to put it in this spring. The current stock pump is maxed out and I don't dare to put anymore boost because of it. I'll also have to check where the stock 510 injectors end..
-Little paint fixes needed here and there, 20 years haven't done good for this
-Rear LSD...this is the hardest cause the 4ws is still there and the right parts are almost impossible to find in Finland
-More "race" like rims for summer, maybe 16"

DR1665

Quoting dandanger:
Thx!

Well there's actually one usdm VR4 in Finland, but all other are RHD JDM models here. All of them has been imported within few years from now(except for the US model which owner I don't know personnally). I imported direct from Japan.

Learning english in Finland is more or less obligatory so I think all of us have some kind of knowledge in english, maybe not perfect but hopefully understandable...

Nice. I've tried poking around at Mitsubishi Club Finland, but Finnish is a very complicated language. Am I right that every letter is pronounced in every word? That gets tricky when you're trying to say Alavilla mailla hallanvaara! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think it's pretty damn cool that we can connect all over the world simply because we're interested in cars.

fuel

Quoting dandanger:
And then to the to-do's and future improvements:

-Phantom knock, seems the sensor is fine, and by taking MUCH of ignition it's better now, but still getting quite much knock counts. The guy at dyno listened the knock and there was none real knock. Btw JDM ignition map is mindless, I think they are made for +100 oct gasoline.
-Fuel pump change, I have one Evo 7 stock fuel pump and plan to put it in this spring. The current stock pump is maxed out and I don't dare to put anymore boost because of it. I'll also have to check where the stock 510 injectors end..
-Little paint fixes needed here and there, 20 years haven't done good for this
-Rear LSD...this is the hardest cause the 4ws is still there and the right parts are almost impossible to find in Finland
-More "race" like rims for summer, maybe 16"

Yours *should* have a viscous LSD like all Evolution E39A's. The one in mine is quite worn and acts like an open diff if you jack the rear end up.

gramkrakr89

Quoting DR1665:
...I think it's pretty damn cool that we can connect all over the world simply because we're interested in cars.

Some things transcend language and culture barriers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sweet VR-4, dandanger (your english is much better than a lot of Americans' on the internet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif)

Last edited:

dandanger

Quoting fuel:

Yours *should* have a viscous LSD like all Evolution E39A's. The one in mine is quite worn and acts like an open diff if you jack the rear end up.

Turning the knive in the wound /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif..all other VR4's here in Finland have the viscous rear, but mine doesn't. Haven't opened the rear diff but you can tell it on the numbers on the casing.

It's actually a option, only Monte carlo's have it "standard", at least in jdm models.

dandanger

Quoting DR1665:

Nice. I've tried poking around at Mitsubishi Club Finland, but Finnish is a very complicated language. Am I right that every letter is pronounced in every word? That gets tricky when you're trying to say Alavilla mailla hallanvaara! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think it's pretty damn cool that we can connect all over the world simply because we're interested in cars.

Correct, every letter is pronounced..and it's funny you think it's tricky and we think that languages that leave letters out and/or transform them to different sounding letters when pronounced is tricky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

Yeah you're right about that, this is one of the few "hobbys" that really do connect people all over the world, and also inside our own land borders /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

dandanger

Had some fun at a icetrack in central Finland:

main.php

Temp was FREEZING over -30c and car started and ran fine, but boosted @1.3 bar..

Still the engine and everything lasted the 6 hour session and I drove the car back home in one piece /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

3x VR4 JDM and one E38 Glsi with turbo ready to hit the icetrack:

main.php

One sad news that someone tried to steal my car few weeks ago from my home parkinglot, guess the thief was interrupted cause the only damage was the drivers doorlock and stolen sunglasses..

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned