The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hello and help identifying a car

BoneYardRacing

Hello a friend of mine has a GVR4 that I am considering buying the car is very rough however it seems to be pretty mechanically sound. However it seems to have been an enthauiast owned car and I was curious if anybody knew anything about it.

I forget the year off hand (a great start I know) the car is currently in the York co. PA area. The real discerning feature is at some point in is life it was painted a pink/purple color. Apparently a factory color from the next generation of Galant.

VIN is JA3CX56U8MZ008542

Any information is greatly appreciated

Thank You

pot

Staff member
Off the bat you have a 1991 Galant Vr-4 based on your VIN. Previous owners may pipe in if they're on here but you can contact Iceman (Dave) who maintains a database of Galants from this forum.

Welcome to the fold brother.

coyotes

Does it have a number? Look on the dash beneath the clock, there should be a little plaque with the car's number. that will help out a lot also.

Welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

EHmotorsports

Not all were badged but it's a good start.

transparentdsm

^ 9 weren't badged(at least from what came from mitsu into the us) and many of them have had the badges removed in general.

BoneYardRacing

Number badge is gone but I can see where one was affixed at some point. I assume there is no way to determine the badge number from the VIN, I know we cant do that with Shelby Dodges(the world I come from)

The important question I guess is what should I pay for it?
Small 16g, 2g MAF, 550cc injectors, walbro 255, Skunk2 cam gears, ACT 2600, Most of the VR4 specific trim is there and in decent condition.
Crack/Hole in bellhousing (looks like a rock impact) very rough body work but no rust. Ignition switch is smashed up as if somebody tried to steal it at some point.
Interior is dirty but in decent shape. Rear steering is operative.
He is asking $2000 I offered $1000 due to condition and Im not sure about the profitability (I run a sports car shop/dealership)

G

Staff member
It's definitely rusty, post pics of the under body.

BoneYardRacing

^ Do you have a history with the car? Those are the only two pictures I took I didnt have time to give it a real close examination but the rockers and floor seem pretty clean unless you know something I dont

EHmotorsports

$800-1,000 sounds about right for what you described.

G

Staff member
Yes, pa = salt = rust.

holeshotmoe

Did a google search of the VIN and found this:
click
Scroll about half way down and you'll see someone cited your VIN (...back in 2002 :) But anyway, maybe you can search that screen name for more info.
Oh, and welcome to the board

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned