The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Having trouble removing tie rod ends

I am trying to drop the transmission and I am following the instructions here to remove the tie rod ends:

click

I remove the cotter pin as instructed (it doesn't mention the nut below the cotter pin but I removed it anyways).

I have been hitting the stud and surrounding areas with all kinds of hammers etc but it won't budge. If you look at the pic in the VFAQ carefully it shows the tie rod end still being connected!

I am using Method 1 of the VFAQ.

Any ideas why it won't come loose? There is no rust or anything there and the pin is no longer in place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Yes,the nut holds it on,the cotter pin is just for safety. I usually give the side of the spindle where the tie rod goes through a few hard smacks with a BFH to shock it and the tie rod pops out. I don't like risking dicking up the threads on the tie rod,or mushrooming the end of the tie rod by beating on the nut.

Doing transmission or a axle though,I've usually taken loose the lower BJ. It has a tapered fit like a tie rod end,but shocking the spindle makes it pop out just like it does with a tie rod. You have to be careful that way,its easy to miss with the hammer and tear the BJ boot.

I also know some guys flat rating it who take the upper strut bolts out,pop the axle out of the trans and lay the whole thing back without taking the axle loose at the hub.

Last edited:

Thanks for this one...I have never done ball joints so I am going to keep trying your advice on the Tie Rod end. I understand that risk factor, so I will keep pounding on the spindle. It just doesn't seem like there is alot of clearance in there to move the damn hammer....maybe from underneath? I have a large engineering hammer and it isn't moving nothing. I did this on my Town and Country and don't recall it being this difficult. I guess I will just hit it harder lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adorsey

img.php

You see where the tie rod dropped out of?

The casting that holds it in place is strait through.
The Tie-rod, is tapered.

Take your big hammer and hit the casting on the spot that does not have oil on it. In the picture.

Leave the nut on the threaded on the tie rod, so it dosent drop quickly on you unexpectedly.

Good luck, report back!

That worked great! That must be the sweet spot or something. Took plenty of effort though.

Much appreciated.

Adorsey

Oh yes. No problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ian M

Sweet,there you go a picture is worth 1000 words. Like I mentioned before,for future reference, if you have to replace a wheel bearing etc the lower BJ works the same way.

Last edited:

Thanks all! Funny you hit it and hit it and then it doesn't break loose slowly it just goes flying!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned