The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

front right axle removal help

kitcho

I'm trying to get my badly worn front right axle replaced on my vr4.

I'm following this guide that i found on dsm tuners

Quote:

Method 2
Turn the steering wheel all the way to the side you are working on (this will pull the tie rod towards the center of the car). Remove the drive axle cotter pins and nuts (this will require someone to step on the brakes while you use a long breaker bar to loosen the nuts, disregard if you loosened the nuts earlier), brakeline bracket from the strut, and lower strut bolts. Then slide the hubs away from the outer axle spline leaving the axle shaft still connected to the transaxle. Then remove the whole axle shaft. For the passenger side, there is a metal ring clip on the end of the axle. To pull the axle, put a large screwdriver or prybar between the axle end and tranny, and give it a quick jerk. It should pop the clip loose and then you slide it out of the tranny.

I am having a lot of trouble getting the axle end off the hub though. I can *almost* slide it out, but i just can't rotate the hub enough fully take out the axle from the hub. What am i doing wrong?

Last edited:

SouthCaliVR4

try using a pry bar to push down the lower cont arm or dissconect the swaybar end link, it is going to be a barely squeak by kinda thing no matter,just keep wiggling angles till it comes free.

cspetros

When I did this, I ran into the same problem. If you turn the steering wheel all the way to the opposite side (away from the side you are working on), though, I the axle will clear. This worked for me.

Last edited:

kitcho

away from the side you are working on?

I rotated the wheel all the way towards the side i was working on like the guide said. Should i turn it the other way?

btw, i already drained my trans, so I don't think i should run my car (to rotate the wheels) until i fill it again.

Last edited:

cspetros

Yes, 'away' from the side you're working on (rotate steering wheel counterclockwise in this case). Doing so extends the tie rod towards the side you are working on, allowing the hub enough room to swing aside and clear the axle end. This worked for me when I removed the front right {passenger side} axle. I didn't have to do this with the drivers side.

Rotating the wheels? You should be able to turn the steering wheel without having the car on; it's not necessary to spin the wheel.

Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

kitcho

i got it! thanks cpetros for the tip, that did it.

now to remove the trans side

wish me luck

Last edited:

kitcho

any special precautions i should take to mount the new axle?

i've heard you're supposed to lubricate the c-clip. how can i be sure that i mount the axle correctly?

thanks

kitcho

sorry for posting in here again so soon, but i have to ask

what's the trick for getting the c-clip to go in like it's supposed to? I'm having a heck of a time trying to get the axle to go in all the way.

cspetros

When I did this for the first time, I called a mechanics shop and asked. They said to just hold the axle straight, and smack the end with a heavy mallet. The force is just enough to pop the clip and let the axle go in, without damaging the CV joints. I'm not sure how others on here do it, but this has worked for me.

Barnes

That and lube up the c-clip, and IMO the entire axle stub. But yeah, sometimes you have to pound that SOB to get it in there.

rgeier11

I use a 2x4 along the green part of the axle (your color may be different) and hit it with a hammer.

SouthCaliVR4

use a mallet on the very end. if you hit the inboard joint you risk ripping the boot. make sure if you're using force that you are solidly in the splines & only using a bit of force to seat the snap ring or you can damage your final drive.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned