The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GSX_TC's Galant VR4 Build Thread #550/2000 (Samara)

slugsgomoo

How many 160+mph street pulls are you doing?

I have a friend who runs 9.55 @ 147 and is still using the stock 2 piston brakes, just good pads and fluid, and hasn't boiled them yet. I'm guessing that he's also doing a much faster shutdown than the average street pull as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm not going to lie, I wouldn't mind doing a front & rear wilwood setup like ryan362, but at the same time I've done huge stops on factory brakes (good pads & fluid) and they have performed fine. Actually tracking the car would require an upgrade since they simply don't have the thermal mass to dissipate the heat, but in most cases you're just adding weight for aesthetics.

turbowop

Quoting 89Mirageman:

Also I wouldn't call this setup overkill at all. I've always thought the braking setup on the older turbo Mitsu's were on the small side even with the twin piston front calipers. Just look at the size of the brakes on newer cars these days. I see minivans on the road with 12" front rotors straight from the factory . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For Mike's intended use of the car, I see it as overkill. Unless he plans on doing a bunch of track days with corners and such. But I digress...

I'm not sure comparing newer cars braking systems really correlates as they are much larger and heavier than our beloved oldschool Galants.

Have you ever tried using better pads, fresh fluid, or stainless brake lines, Mike? World of difference. I'm not saying that you shouldn't upgrade the brakes, as I love my Wilwood/TCE setup. I just don't like 18's on these cars and don't want you to be stuck with such a huge wheel size. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Jesus_Negros

Those universal wildwood calipers are so affordable that I couldn't help myself and bought a set off of Summit for the Conquest.

prove_it

I think we all know that Mike is going for style points over function anyway. He's got my support cause it's just nice seeing something new done to a GVR4.

Wop, I agree, Dot 4 fluid with rebuilt calipers, steel lines, and good pads are really a good set-up, I've had no issues. Once I went with the outlander rotors and 3G master cylinder, I'm more than happy. It bites hard and pedal feel is amazing. If I still lived around mountain roads and pushed it, then no, they would not take the heat cycling and abuse, but in street form, it's plenty.

coyotes

In all fairness, it's not like Wop's car will ever see track days either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif His BBK is overkill for autocross.

I think I'd be curious to see the final setup on Mike's car first and then we can fully judge him for it!

JNR

I'm all for man sized rotors and multiple piston calipers and all, but one consideration is be sure you also have good tires to match...they play a large role as well.

Jesus_Negros

Hey! If you got it, get it, and ball out!

turbowop

Quoting coyotes:
In all fairness, it's not like Wop's car will ever see track days either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif His BBK is overkill for autocross.

But it looks great sitting in the garage! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

turbowop

Quoting JNR:
I'm all for man sized rotors and multiple piston calipers and all, but one consideration is be sure you also have good tires to match...they play a large role as well.

Thx, capt. obvious. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

prove_it

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting coyotes:

But it looks great sitting in the garage! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Indeed, at least it's not on jackstands....

JNR

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting JNR:

Thx, capt. obvious. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Not everyone is aware of that, nor puts much thought into it my fine feathered apprentice.

Jesus_Negros

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

BENE38A

Just put them on, only the person paying for it needs to justify it. Don't paint sh*t pink though

GSX_TC

So this is what Samara looks like with 18X8.5 +38mm offset EVO X GSR wheels. A Lot would need to be adjusted to make these fit so I think I'll be going with either 7.5 or 8inch wide but I just need to figure out the offset I'll need in order to clear the EVO X Brembos. Thanks To Tony Fergeson for the test fitting.

coyotes

I think that looks 1000x better than your old wheels. Keep em on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KiNgMaRtY

I agree, it looks tremendously better with the Evo X wheels. Raise the car a little and you are good to go with a little more negative bamber adjustment.

mitsuturbo

I agree 100%. Those wheels look fantastic on the car.

I could do without the stickers all over it, but it's your car, not mine.

turbowop

Some camber and those will fit fine. Maybe raise it 1/2". Those look great.

Whatever you do, don't go narrower than an 8" wheel.

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

I definitely agree, the car needs to come up a bit. Don't go with skinny wheels, if you're going 18x7 go back to 4 lug, buy centerline RPM's and realize that delicious 8lb weight savings over either the evo X or your old wheels /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I like the evo X wheels, but I think the evo X MR wheels would look better with the black car (see the 9 MR wheels on foster's car for reference).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts