The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GSX_TC's Galant VR4 Build Thread #550/2000 (Samara)

GSX_TC

So I'm hearing, Mike is the one who told me it took him forever to finally find one so I naturally assumed it was kinda rare. Guess I was wrong, I still love it though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LIV4PSI

For sure. It's a nice upgrade, isn't there a Grant one installed currently?

I sold my Momo wheel from 774 to ManikBastard put I couldn't get the hub removed. I was worried, but he bought one the same day on Amazon.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Yep has a grant one at the moment. Gonna throw that on the champagne car. I love how you can just hand me down parts to the other cars haha.

GSX_TC

Got the new Momo steering wheel on! I like the way it feels compared to the old one I used to have.

Also got my Evo X Brembo's with KMV bolt on brackets in!! Can't wait to install these, first I gotta send them off to Justin At Detective Coatings to get them rebuilt and then powdercoated.

GSX_TC

I got them from KMV on DSMtuners.com and they were 100 shipped. They ship from Canada.

prove_it

What is the difference between Evo 8/9 and Evo X brembos?

slugsgomoo

Quoting prove_it:
What is the difference between Evo 8/9 and Evo X brembos?

You can run 17's over 8&9 brakes, you need 18's to run X brakes. Aside from that, a bit more mass to deal with thermal issues, so really unless you're doing track days with the car, there's not really any point, especially given that our cars are considerably lighter.

Unless you're running 18's and need to have the look /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

GSX_TC

I thought the EVO X Brembo's were larger then the 8 & 9's?

I'm already on 18's Andrew and originally wanted to stay with 18's, and as for your opinion on the brakes, well let me just say this, nobody really " needs" a big ole turbo or humongous injectors or even daily driving a twin disc, but that's their choice. It doesn't matter what other people think is or isn't necessary to have on Someone else's car. In the end it's their build and if they wanna run a 42R car with uber stiff suspension and solid mounts, and over kill brakes, and over kill fuel setup then by god let them have at it. Sometimes it's good to have more than less, ya know.

Anyways this will be a slow going project as I will have to figure out exactly what width and offset that fits correctly and doesn't stick out too much, really considering either Bronze TE37's or my dream rims Work Meister S1's. I know it's gonna be very expensive to do this, but I'm ready to give her legit wheels.

slugsgomoo

I'm not saying there's no point, I'm just pointing out that with the same caliper, the benefit of more swept area is primarily greater thermal mass which allows longer, harder stops in a track environment without fade. The likelihood you explore the limits of that on the street without flirting with serious jail time is obscenely low /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The one advantage you could have potentially is slightly more pedal feel, if:

1) delete abs if not already gone
2) replace the master with an adjustable manual master like Wilwood

Otherwise, other than looking cool, they really don't have a big boost over the evo8/9 brakes. The X weighs more and works the brakes harder. The fact that you're adding unsprung weight (yay handling!) and rotating mass (yay acceleration!) is something worth considering.

I would suggest finding a set of the much more expensive MR rotors, since at least those are two piece with aluminum hats, and will offset some of the weight gain.

prove_it

Just my opinion, but I don't think a couple pounds of rotating weight at the wheels on a Street car with 400whp+ will be all that noticeable. In a fully prepped racecar, yea, but Brett's car is far from a track car. (no offense)

GSX_TC

Yeah I've been eye balling these rotors to go with the calipers, except in black.

prove_it

What is it you do for a living again?

92_talon_awd

Slings parts for Harry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

slugsgomoo

Mike, are those any cheaper than the factory MR rotors? I only mention because they'd be a perfect fit and they're aluminum hats, so unless you can find something cheaper I doubt that you can get more bang for the buck.

CutlassJim

Girodisks are super expensive but super nice. Again only if you are actually tacking the car though.

turbowop

Why do you want such large rotors, Mike? I thought you were mostly building the car for drag racing and dyno numbers? I can understand the want for blingy parts and I think we're all guilty of that a little bit. But those things are such overkill for your goals and limit you to nothing smaller than an 18" wheel.

GSX_TC

Quoting slugsgomoo:
Mike, are those any cheaper than the factory MR rotors? I only mention because they'd be a perfect fit and they're aluminum hats, so unless you can find something cheaper I doubt that you can get more bang for the buck.

I can get these for 200 bucks, which is great deal less than the list price.

Quoting turbowop:
Why do you want such large rotors, Mike? I thought you were mostly building the car for drag racing and dyno numbers? I can understand the want for blingy parts and I think we're all guilty of that a little bit. But those things are such overkill for your goals and limit you to nothing smaller than an 18" wheel.

I just want to do this and be done with the braking aspect of the car, I want a decent braking setup. I hate when I do a few pulls and in no time It feels like the car almost doesn't want to stop. After about 3 hard pulls, the brakes become weak as fawk, and it bothers me. So I figured this would help out a bit. The larger diameter rotors should help a bit more too. Plus I was always planning to stick with 18's like I currently have anyways /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

89Mirageman

Those are going to look awesome on there and really fill those 18's up. I would look into doing matching rears later on down the road though.

Also I wouldn't call this setup overkill at all. I've always thought the braking setup on the older turbo Mitsu's were on the small side even with the twin piston front calipers. Just look at the size of the brakes on newer cars these days. I see minivans on the road with 12" front rotors straight from the factory . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts