The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GSX_TC's Galant VR4 Build Thread #550/2000 (Samara)

boostin4door

DAMN!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
I havent been on here in AWHILE!! Sorry to hear about your motor!!
Do you or your engine builder know what/why it happened?

Last edited:

GSX_TC

The built motor spun a bearing somehow and the crank will need to be turned, but rather then turning it and weakening it, I'm gonna just pull the old crank from the old motor and have it polished and measured.

GSX_TC

Ok just to clear things up here because there is alot of small details left out, yes FIST built the motor years ago but when it came time to install it, fist was in the process of moving shops and couldn't accept the work, so I had no choice to take it to a friend and do the work on the side. The friend was the one who finished up the motor and installed it, then one morning i drove the car to work and noticed a shaking coming from the motor and pulled over and didnt see anything, then it got worse, so i babied it to work then noticed oil had been leaking the whole time and was empty,so this is not on FIST it's my own fault for taking it to a friend and for such a big build. I should of taken it to FIST to finish it up.

The motor is in good hands again, and things will be done right this time around.

GSX_TC

by half assing alot of stuff, like not even asking me if i wanted to use my stock crossmembers and missing bolts here and there stuff not lining up, brackets missing, timing covers missing (which im assuming is how a bolt got in there and ruined everyting in the first place) etc etc. basically i learned my lesson and will not be going back to him for anything else. now the car and the motor are in good hands and all of the progress in the past few pages have been by him. his name is Rob and he used to be co owner of FIST. Him and Mike are the only ones im letting work on my cars from now on.

GSX_TC

some more progress, getting closer to getting Samara back on the road again finally, bought a bunch of heat wrap for all the hot parts including a T3 DEI turbo blanket

then went ahead and upgraded the clutch while im in there, because i know the old one wont hack it, spoke to Tim Zimmer and he told me this was the best of the best single disk clutch there is, is doesnt get any better then this for single disk's. supposed to handle upwards of the 700 mark. this is the Southbend SS-X pressure plate with full Ceramic disk (b series). part number K536SSXB

then ordered me new ACL main and Rod bearings.

and here we are about to pull the motor.

and out it comes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

and here she is with no motor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

finally get to have my in my engine bay pic haha

before shot of the engine bay before i went to town on it with degreaser and shop towels.

cleaned every single little line and surface. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

even got the lower subframe.

removed my washer fluid res, because thats where the future one off catch can tank will live.

and here's the motor awaiting new parts.

removed these parts if anybody wants them, you pay the shipping and their yours.

last but not least, i ordered some new ARP bolts for the Fluidampr crank pulley.

Hopefully i can get all this finished up in time for the FP lonestar Shootout in Ennis TX on May 12th.

transparentdsm

wow, that is horrible. i had no idea that Samara was down. looks like its upgrade time again. i love the progress. i hope to get mine running one of these days also.

GSX_TC

Yeah had a minor setback but she'll be back on the road where she belongs soon. I miss daily driving this car around.

ducttapeguy

We are gonna have to have a Texas VR4 meet in the near future. There are actually a pretty good number of Gs around here. Mike everything is looking good man. Keep it up. And feel free to order me one of those south bend clutches. Ill PM my address to you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Gizmovr4

Mike, car is coming along great- setbacks happen its how you deal with them that matters! While the engine is out I would delete the ABS and Cruise - but thats just my preference.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Haha thanks Tyler, would def be up for a TX meet. But that's pretty much what the FP shootout is gonna be.

GSX_TC

Thanks man, Yeah I would like to get rid of those things too, I put a WTB add for a non cruise control throttle cable. And the bearings are .25 over not standard.

Last edited:

Gizmovr4

I saw the .25 after - thats why I deleted that part of the post. Hopefully she will be up and running soon !!

DynastyLCD

way to roll with the punches, Mike. lookin good after the cleaning process!

not to play devil's advocate... but it would look really nice with a wire tuck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

GSX_TC

Thanks guys, and thanks Tyle I wonder if JNZ tuning can get that piece too, I bet it would be wayyy cheaper that what STM sells it for.

DynastyLCD

ExtremePSI has em too, i think they're like $40 or so

mitsuturbo

Weird. On 4/22 post with all the photos, i still see ABS in the car, but in this link click Updated 1/14/2013, It says "Full ABS delete done properly using Mitsu parts"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts