The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GST with PSI's build & restoration of 1813

Tre3zy

yea i used RTV on mines no leaks...

GSTwithPSI

Quoting turbowop:
That gasket is also more prone to leak.

But less prone to oozing into the oil pan, flaking off, and clogging an oil passage or the sump. Regardless of what the Mitsu manual says or how carefully you apply it, IMO RTV isn't a good substitute for a real gasket when available. If your mating surfaces are clean, flat, and your gasket is torqued properly, it won't leak. I'd say no matter if a gasket or RTV is used, proper installation is the important part, and in my case that means a copper coated Fel-Pro gasket.

turbowop

Well do what you want. It was just a friendly suggestion. I usually follow the FSM myself when it comes to stuff like this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

fuel

yeah those paper gaskets always leak eventually. I use ThreeBond RTV - best stuff ever and is used by Toyota and Subaru themselves.

GSX_TC

Threebond is what STM uses on all their stuff too, Great stuff. anyways, nice come back Brett! you got that thing together quick, hopefully nothing crazy happens this time around, i know you were pretty frustrated. Goodluck buddy!

5OF2k

Looking good man, hope it gets back in and running soon for you.

Out of curiousity, why did you go with a composite HG? Granted, they're cheap, but then again so are the Evo8 MLS's, and those are good to around 550whp in most cases. Cheap insurance for your engine, IMHO...?

-Jake

G

Staff member
That's the problem, the oil pan bolt area is not flat. You will have leaks. I would use the toyota fipg. That stuff will never leak. Also don't forget about the 2 short bolts by the timing belt.

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Quoting turbowop:
That gasket is also more prone to leak.

But less prone to oozing into the oil pan, flaking off, and clogging an oil passage or the sump. Regardless of what the Mitsu manual says or how carefully you apply it, IMO RTV isn't a good substitute for a real gasket when available. If your mating surfaces are clean, flat, and your gasket is torqued properly, it won't leak. I'd say no matter if a gasket or RTV is used, proper installation is the important part, and in my case that means a copper coated Fel-Pro gasket.

Last edited:

MellowVR4

Quoting G:
Yo, you don't need an oil pan gasket.

VERY TRUE, my oil pan does leak, and i do have the felpro gasket on it with only 5k since the rebuild. i removed my trans for some work and in the process im removing the stupid gasket and using RTV, highly recommend it. But do what you want.

MellowVR4

sorry for the off subject, but damn this is expensive click

Quoting G:
That's the problem, the oil pan bolt area is not flat. You will have leaks. I would use the toyota fipg. That stuff will never leak. Also don't forget about the 2 short bolts by the timing belt.

QFT! We reseal all of our oil pans. The FIPG stuff is the business! Glad I work for Toyota so I can get the stuff when I need it haha

GSTwithPSI

Quoting 5OF2k:
Looking good man, hope it gets back in and running soon for you.

Out of curiousity, why did you go with a composite HG? Granted, they're cheap, but then again so are the Evo8 MLS's, and those are good to around 550whp in most cases. Cheap insurance for your engine, IMHO...?

-Jake

Thanks for the kind words. No reason for going with the composite HG really, just that I have had good luck with composite head gaskets in the past and usually stick to them. I would probably go with a MLS gasket if I had 2 newly machined sealing surfaces, but I don't.

Quoting Everyone :
Oil pan gaskets suck, use RTV bro.

Due to popular demand, I have removed the Fel-Pro oil pan gasket and replaced it with RTV as you can see in the picture below.

5OF2k

LOL!

Just noticed all the Broncos stuff in the background as well.....

....did we just bond!? haha

-Jake

GSX_TC

Quoting MellowVR4:
sorry for the off subject, but damn this is expensive click

Much better and cheaper click

G

Staff member
Use this >> click Toyota part # 00295-00103 you won't be disappointed.

GSTwithPSI

Got the motor all assembled and ready to drop in.
WP_000702.jpg

WP_000707.jpg

WP_000709.jpg

WP_000705.jpg

I installed a DIY heat shield to keep the wideband O2 sensor a little cooler.
WP_000703.jpg

I put a micro switch on my Cyclone manifold so that when the butterflies fully open the switch is triggered. I'll use this to adjust when they open, and make sure they are working as they should.
WP_000706.jpg

I installed the oil cooler and hooked everything up. -8 AN lines running to and from.
WP_000714.jpg

WP_000715.jpg

WP_000716.jpg

The motor is in and ready to go. I didn't get to drop the trans in with the motor. When I was getting ready to mount the trans, I started looking at the TOB and decided to be on the safe side and replace it. Needless to say, none of the dealers in the area stock the part, so I'm waiting for one to come in. I took the opportunity to install my wideband and some other parts that have been sitting idle. Hopefully the car should be all buttoned up and running by the end of next weekend.
WP_000724.jpg

WP_000725.jpg

WP_000726.jpg

WP_000729.jpg

WP_000730.jpg

WP_000731.jpg

WP_000732.jpg

WP_000733.jpg

WP_000734.jpg

citymunky

I love your engine.

5OF2k

Fantastic! Looks very very clean sir. Good work!

-Jake

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned