The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Galant suspension - FWD / AWD

bazeng

Hi guys,
I'm looking for coilovers for my AMG GALANT. Can anybody tell me if FWD DSM's are the same? Or any other mitsu?

I know the fronts are the same as VR4's, but the rears need to be shorter.

Hotbits do them but I'm looking at other alternatives at the moment.

Any info appreciated.

fivestardsm

From what I know, the DSM's will lower the ride heigth if you do a stock swap. I do know that they do have a different spring rate between the DSM's and the Galant. As for a coilover set up, I am not sure if the tubes them selves are a little bit different or if its just the spring rate/ coil #. .

The front however, aren't exactly the same either. The top mount, or the pillowball mount are different from galant to dsm. you can make them fit, but it takes a little bit of modifying to the strut tower to make them fully functional and adjustable for the coilover from what I have seen with a set of JIC's, and a set of Megan's that were for a DSM and installed in a VR4.

dsmless

I used my lowering springs from my 1g dsm on my vr4 it lowered it 2 in in front and 2.5 in rear from stock hieght haven't noticed and improvement in handling but I like the ride height, for the shocks I used kybs adjustables work great for my needs, and the fwd dsms shocks are not as "beefy" as the awd I tryed installing them on my 1g awd and they would bottom out on speed bumps, and they were teins at 4 months old

misterfixit

any oz domestic market galant rear strut will work. if you can get some off a non ecs gsr hatch they have a higher damping and spring rate that the saloons. otherwise search fleabay for galant gti stuff in germany..

Rich

bazeng

I believe the D2 coilovers can be made to suit the FWD galants.

My VR4 Hotbits Race DT2

VS

G4 VR4 coilovers (rears modifed to suit a cyborg lancer which is meant to be the same as a fwd galant)

The hotbits were $2400 AUD vs the G4 $1400 AUD.

bazeng

I wonder if I could just remove the small helper spring (red ones) on the hotbits and wind the height down to suit the FWD galants?

bazeng

Also,
any opinion on 40mm pistons(looking at DMS coilovers to suit the VR4)
VS the hotbits 46mm pistons??

DMS cost more and are more reputable. I'm not sure if I should stick with the hotbits or donate them to the AMG.

Opinions please...

RedTwo

I think the clear solution here is to take any form of springs out of the car. Low, uncomfortable and dangerous = great handling, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'd say the D22A FWD Eclipse should be pretty similar. Is it just the lower mounting point that's the issue?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned