The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Galant GSX vs. Galant VR-4

Why not save yourself a sh*t load of effort and time and get a gvr4? IMO there way better lookin, and they have all the goodies all ready. This is really a mo brainer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

IncorpoRatedX

it's really not a no-brainer. a simple swap nets you a lighter, less bullshit vehicle.

^exactly

plus I can get a GSX shell in a straight trade for my steelies lmao

I went the GSX route just because of the ease of finding them. It seems VR4's are harder to come by down here in the south.

donkeylips

The GSX rules because its the only other car in the US that shares the exact same shell as the gvr4. Less removal of parts is required, and you don't need any parts from a gvr4, unless you want some of the cosmetic pieces.
It's hard to get a running gvr4 with a good body for less than $3000 and even then it will probably need maintenance. You can get a '91-'94 dsm with a bad body for cheap, and you've got yourself everything you need to go turbo, do a 5-lug swap, and you'll either have a 4-bolt rear, a 6-bolt engine, or both if you're lucky. And you never had to pay the gvr4 pricetag. Turn two cheap vehicles into one cool one. Gvr4 parts car is nice for the wiring harness though(and cosmetics).

fuel

Quoting DR1665:
Now, a FWD E39A would be BFA with a TT V6 and RWD imo...

A FWD E39A? No such beast exists!

raptorWagon

CAPs Agrees

E33A 2000DOHC-MPI/2WD
E38A 2000DOHC-MPI/4WD
E39A 2000DOHC-MPI/4WD/4WS

I guess it all boils down to personal prefference, what your using your car for(street or strip), and money/time budget. If your getting a roller for some steelies, it might me worth while to hassel with a conversion. Me....I'm the kind of guy who's buying a gvr4, and putting time, money, and effort into some go fast mods on it. Everyone has there own opinion, so it's really up to you. Just weigh your options and go for it.

moidsm1

Im ressurecting this to add my thoughts. Wouldnt the time and effort on getting both cars going be the same. Yes with a GGSX you have to swap a bunch of stuff, but I see it the same as if you bought a VR4, With the VR4 you would end up pulling alot of stuff out, IE: 4WS, ABS. Dbossman has it right with the time, money and effort factors. You can get a car that has a bunch of stuff you will rip out or you can get a car that you will end up adding a bunch of stuff to.

Earlier Donkeylips said something similar to what I just said, In a nutshell the GGSX is the same platform minus all the unwanted stuff, You just have to add a motor trans and rear end if you like and your Off! If you like the Vr4 Bumper you can buy one and put it on! Some people have to have their dash badges and Key Fobs though,

Right now I have a VR4 Shell with all parts ready to Go, Rebuilt Tranny, Motor just sitting waiting for me to throw her together when I get some time. Im considering selling the shell and buying a GGSX because of ease of the job to swap over the trans and Motor add some wires for knock and maf and im drivin again. Plus I can sell the NA 4G63 to a buddy that has been waiting for a motor to replace his in his Galant GS. Geez So many decisions!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned