The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Clutch question?

JackbNimble

I need to replace the clutch in my '90 Galant GSX. Are the clutches the same as the ones in the VR-4? Thanks in advance!

Diego

I'm sure there's a difference as it is a turbo clutch.... I also assume they might work given the ggsx is essentially the same as the gvr4 just w/o turbo....
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

JackbNimble

Well, I looked around this morning and found out that the GVR4 clutch is actually slightly larger diameter compared to the GGSX. Not sure if the VR4 one will work, but I found someone that sells the GGSX ones locally, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Also, how long on average does it take you guys to swap a tranny and do a clutch? I worked on my car for a good 5 hours today, trying to swap both out and am nowhere near being done. Thus far, I've gotten the bottom crossbeam off, the axles out, driveshaft dropped, the shifter linkages off, and a few bolts out of the transmission. I intend to take the exhaust off and drop the tranny and transfer case right out the bottom, then unbolt the transfer case while it's out of the car and put it on the new tranny. At the same time I'm going to replace the clutch/pressure plate/throwout bearing while I'm there, then bolt everything back up. I'm thinking I've still got another 7-8 hours of work to go. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? I've heard a lot of people say they manage to do the job in a day easily. Then again, I've never done anything this extensive on a vehicle before.

Also, rust can suck my left nut.

AnotherNewb

Can't take the trans and Xcase off together... Tried it one time... Oil pan gets in the way...

Your first time shouldn't be rushed. Take your time and learn. Then, the next time feels more natural. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JackbNimble

It didn't look like it gets in the way. Maybe the GGSX and GVR4 are different in that regards. I'll take a look on Monday when I go to work on it again.

Diego

I can drop the tranny and pull clutch replace in about 5 hours; 3 hours of procrastination, 2 hours of real work.

So who's chest is holding it is the real question.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JackbNimble

Luckily, my grandfather who owned his own mechanics shop for 40 years has a transmission jack so we don't have to do any real lifting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think the main problem is that the rust is being such a pain. A lot of the nuts are taking us like 5 minutes minimum to get out because of that. I managed to get a 3/8" and a 1/2" Snap On ratchet to continuously pop out of gear because of the amount of power I was having to put them through.

Also, my left rear wheel hub is going bad. From the looks of it, to replace that I have to replace the hole rear arm and hub. Am I correct in this or is there a way to unbolt the axle and get the hub out without having to do all that work?

AnotherNewb

The rear bearing is replaceable. I would suggest downloading a copy of the factory svc manual and a copy of mitsubishi CAPS. Both, invaluable tools when it comes to fixing these cars. I have no clue if they are on this site or not. If you can't find them drop me a PM and I can email you a zip file.

JackbNimble

Quoting AnotherNewb:
Can't take the trans and Xcase off together... Tried it one time... Oil pan gets in the way...

Your first time shouldn't be rushed. Take your time and learn. Then, the next time feels more natural. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You were right. Except, it's not the oil pan that gets in the way, it's the flywheel. The top of the transfer case hits it and you can't pull the transmission shaft out. Also, I had to drop the exhaust to pull the transfer case off.

Boy was I surprised when I pulled the tranny off. One of the springs snapped out in the clutch and the one tab on the throwout bearing was cracked off. Thank goodness I decided to buy a new clutch kit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned