The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Galant ECS

dlesser

I have a quick question that I can't find the answer for. Did ANY galant sold in the USA have ECS?

Also, does anyone have ECS and does it still work after all these years?

Thanks!

SouthCaliVR4

Yes they came in the us on the gs fwd trim level. I think it was just a remote adjustable strut, which would all be worn the heck out by now.

dlesser

Thanks, I have yet to see one and everytime I see it in the service manual I get a little excited to actually see one work. As far as I know this was the first production car with ECS.

I really want a Galant with ECS just to play with :)

fuel

The 5th generation Galant also had ECS, though not as advanced as the 6G system.

I believe Toyota had TEMS which too adjusted ride height and ride quality in the mid-80s. Am sure something outta Europe had a similar setup at the time too.

misterfixit

The Starion and the previous (E10) had ECS first.

The e30 had active ecs which used alot more sensors to adapt the ride dynamically. The E50/E70 had ecs too.

It was fitted to the highest spec 2wd E30's (in the uk we got it as an option, $$$) MIne works and its absoloutely magic to drive with. I swapped the whole setup on off of a JDM e35a Galant MX, compressor was knackered so a replacement came from the US, I brought a set of struts back from the Philippines and bought a set from Austria. They are the weak point, the air bag runs between 70 to 120 psi. If you jack the car without putting it into "high" mode the bag can roll, and this will wreck it (certainly at this age). The struts are expensive new appx £600 each at the dealer. If i could get a reubuilder to rebag the struts that would be cool.

The biggest thing with the ecs is if a bag fails the car is on the deck, as the bag supports the car, the spring is there to narrow the bandwidht the suspension has to modulate over.

There is a stepper motor on each trut to modulate the damping and thats basically the business end.

In short its a fantastic system when it works...

Rich

fuel

I don't believe the Starion had it at all? And if so, it certainly didn't have it before the 6G Galant did in 1987!

I remember when the cars were sold new with the ECS, and then within 5-6 years or less than 100,000kms the system failed usually due to a popped bag, and then conventional struts were fitted instead.

maroonmetallic

GS & GSR trim levels of the Galant had it as an option.
I had a 92 Galant GSR (a couple years ago) that had functioning ECS when I bought it. Sadly, when it broke, I had to replace w/ your standard stuff.

-Shawn

dlesser

Thanks for the info...maybe one day I will come across one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

misterfixit

I've just been trawling my shop manuals trying to find as I remeber reading one and going "really.. wow" was defo an early odball, but a can't remeber what. My 1985 Galant shop manual has the tech explanation of ecs fitted to the E10 and also really funky auto hide away wipers. The ecs tech thing is like 30 pages long so its a bit much to scan now.

I'll have a thunk and see if I can remeber what triggered it? I did find modulating abs on early sapporro's (1983) also digital dashes back that far.. but i'm off at a tangent now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quoting fuel:
I don't believe the Starion had it at all? And if so, it certainly didn't have it before the 6G Galant did in 1987!

I remember when the cars were sold new with the ECS, and then within 5-6 years or less than 100,000kms the system failed usually due to a popped bag, and then conventional struts were fitted instead.

fuel

I know Sapporos had digital gauge clusters that far back but didn't realise they could come with ABS! Though I do remember reading somewhere the first Mitsubishi to feature ABS was the 4th gen Galant, so that would make sense now. Interesting that the 5G didn't get ABS at all, well at least not that I have seen anyhow!

dlesser

Found this on the Mr. Wikipedia

click

First electronically-controlled suspension - 1983 Toyota Soarer (Japan-market model) / 1983 Mitsubishi Galant ECS
First active air suspension - 1987 Mitsubishi Galant active ECS

First antilock braking system - 1966 Jensen FF (Dunlop Maxaret system, previously used in aviation)
First electrical antilock braking system - 1969 Lincoln Continental Mark III

Not sure how correct it is.

fuel

sounds about right.

Dasith

I've Seen A Brochure that says first ECS came in Mitsubishi Debonair V3000 Royal (Also Had an AMG version Called Mitsubishi Debonair V3000 Royal AMG), which makes sense as it was the Mistubishi's Highest Spec Car made for the Executive Level.... then later it was fitted to the Galant...

fuel

Debonair V didn't come out til 1986, the 5th gen Galant was released in 1983 with ECS.

EgonOlsen

Here is an add from germany, featuring a Galant GTI AWD and ECS.
you can see the ECS pod on picture 3 in the add:

click

Last edited:

Dasith

yes that's the 6th Gen Galant...

it must be be the 5th Gen that came out with ECS first, As "Fuel" said earlier

fuel

Quoting EgonOlsen:
Here is an add from germany, featuring a Galant GTI AWD and ECS.
you can see the ECS pod on picture 3 in the add:

click

Are you sure that's AWD? Am pretty sure the GTi-16V in Europe was still 2WD, while the 4WD models were called 'Dynamic Four' or something similar.

EgonOlsen

fuel:

No im not sure, I actually think he changed the add, im pretty sure it said Dynamic4 the first time I read it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I should know, I have 1 of either.
Its impossible in the pics to see what it is, hence im sure it said so in the add when I read it the first time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But you are correct, it is prolly the FWD one.
Anyway it was mostly to show the ECS pod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

All the Dynamic4s in europe where also sedan models except for the ones in Switzerland, so far thats the only country where Ive seen Dynamic4s as hatchbacks.

fuel

Yeah I think the Dynamic4 badging was purely a European thing. In NZ or Australia there was never a 4WD non-turbo model sold domestically, however NZ and Australia both had the FWD liftbacks with the DOHC engine and ECS, in NZ it was called the GTi-16V like Europe but in Australia it was the 'GSR'.

I am fairly sure all the ECS vehicles are FWD, that is to say that there will be no model with 4WD and ECS.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned