The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Galant GS Sport Steering Button/Switch (How Does it work?)

moidsm1

I have 1990 Galant GS 5spd with ECS and Sport Steering. I have tried the steering in both modes and they feel totally different. Sport feels very tight and solid almost like a manual Rack. and the normal mode feels very light and sloppy. The switch is located in the center console where the power mirror switch is. It takes up the space of a coinhoder.

Does anyone know how this system works? How does it electronically change the steering ratio/Pressure?

Could this possibly be an alternative option to converting to a manual rack? Power steering with a manual rack feel to it?

I bring his up because I Just picked up a VR4. I will be seling my Galant GS Soon and maybe I can steal the Eletronic steering out of it and put it to use in the VR4?

Last edited:

Hertz

Staff member
There's a control unit behind the stereo, the switch, and some solenoid/valve in(?) the pump... the system is referred to as "Electronic Control Power Steering (EPS)"

I believe that "NORMAL" makes it have less steering effort than a VR-4, otherwise it is the same. FSM seems to indicate standard of 8 lbs for conventional/4WS (VR4) and 6 lbs for EPS

I'd go for more caster, smaller dia steering wheel and wider tires before messing around with that gimmick.

misterfixit

solenoid is on the rack.

pump and front lines are the same. been one of my plans when i get a spare rack to see if its possible to rebuild the 4ws rack with the valve block off the eps rack.

Could use the full setup off the gs and eliminate the 4ws

Rich

Dialcaliper

The EPS computer controls the solenoid valve to release pressure based on vehicle speed, so it acts like a true "speed sensitive" power steering instead of just "RPM sensitive" like the normal system. The "sport" button just causes the pressure to drop off more rapidly with speed.

img.php

The solenoid is attached to the valve block, so it would be rather simple to rebuild the 4WS rack using the EPS valve block, but you also need the EPS pinion valve (different o-ring arrangement). Just make sure to get the computer from behind the radio (which is pain to extract) and the switch from the center console. And make sure to get the right seal kit, since it uses a slightly different arrangement of seals.

There's a long section describing it in the factory service manual.

You should also shim the flow control valve in the power steering pump to prevent the steering from cutting out, since you'd be losing pressure from both RPM and speed.

Lastly, be aware that the steering rack is an absolute nightmare to remove (unless you either remove the engine or the subframe)

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned