The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

galant 803/1000 suspected bad maf not sure need help

tandrews93

so today I was driving my gallant down 94 and it suddenly died on me I started it again and it would not stay running without me pressing the gas I got out of the vehicle unplugged the mass airflow sensor and it ran however it would not boost anytime I would come close to boosting it would chug and sit at about 3000 rpms anyone know of anything that can help I will be trying a new maf tomorrow the car was just rebuilt has 160miles on rebuild

slugsgomoo

I had a maf die and it wouldn't run plugged in, but it ran fine unplugged. the behavior you're seeing with it unplugged (as far as falling on its face) is due to the ECU being in limp mode. It's not going to let you do a lot in an attempt to save itself. If a known good maf still has an issue when plugged in, then you'll have to dig further.

tandrews93

click

I have tried 2 new maf's off of 1g eclipse didn't seam to help at all the post above seams to be a lot like my problem I can't seam to figure out y the car is going into limp mode

prove_it

Anyway to log it? Is it running really rich?

I'd suspect a bad coolant temp sensor, when they go bad the ECU thinks its -75* so it gets rich as hell.

It goes to limp mode with the MAF disconnected. Limp mode is a basic table. No corrections based on coolant temp, or airflow are made. Ignore this and focus on possibilities,

Common issues that lead to your issue are bad coolant temp sensor, bad MAF, faulty O2 sensor, and bad ECU, and air leaks in the piping. Rule out the MAF at this point as you eliminated that as a possibility. Try a boost leak test, make sure you have no leaks. Next look at the temp sensor.

tandrews93

the car is running very richalso the coolant temp sensor I am not quite sure on that whole thing I know it has some sort of aftermarket sensor for telling the heat as well and slim fans that was the way it was when I bought it I've only put about 75 miles on the car

prove_it

I'd start at figuring out the coolant temp sensor, make sure it's reading properly.

ade

check the o2 next, mine had the same issue. I went to sd thinking it was a bad maff just to find out it was a incorrectly wired o2. fixed that and problem solved. i eventually threw in a new temp sencor as they are cheap.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned