The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fuel pump cradle gasket install?

RedTwo

Anyone got some tips on how to install this properly? I fitted a brand new gasket but I swear it fits (and smells) worse than the old one. Those rubber nipples really don't want to make a nice seal with the cradle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Have you also replaced the pump at the same time? When I did this last year, I could not get a good seal, and after messing around FOREVER, I finally determined the new pump assembly was longer and hitting the bottom of the tank, keeping the gasket from sealing ever so slightly.

cheekychimp

That's interesting!

What pump did you use? I just replaced a pump and my tank spews petrol all over the gas station floor if I fill it up completely. I've just been buying 3/4 of a tank of petrol whilst waiting for a new gasket to arrive. Maybe the gasket isn't the problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

RedTwo

What pump are you using iceman? I using a 255 LPH Walbro. I don't *think* it's fouling, but it could explain why full/empty tank doesn't really mean full/empty tank on the dash /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

cheekychimp

Well just did this this evening as well as replacing the idiot light sensor on the bottom of the fuel pump assembly and no problems /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif ... now to get a full tank and see if it shits it's load all over the petrol station floor!!!

Oh yeah, one tip. When you put those nipples through the holes in the top of the assembly, grab them with a pair of pliers and pull them through the hole from the top side until the gasket seals underneath.

Last edited:

RedTwo

Do you have much experience grabbing nipples with pliers in your day job? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So yesterday I overtightened one of the M8 nuts and snapped it off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I'm sure 5 of 6 bolts will be fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

cheekychimp

Sadly Human Rights Laws have limited my practice of this highly satisfying past time ... so I have to reserve it for fuel pump assembly gasket installation every few years.

Still haven't had the courage to go back to my local station and ask them to fill 'er up. I think I'll find some quiet remote station in Boonsville before I find out if the car still pisses all over the floor like an incontinent 80 year old with a 50 litre bladder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned