The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FP Manifold Heatsheilds

Barnes

Quoting turbowop:
My problem with coatings is that a lot of people have issues with them eventually wearing or flaking off. Even high-end coatings like those from Swaintech. I'd rather go with something like the blanket and shield.

True. It's frustrating that this is the case. There has *got* to be a way to make those coatings last.

Well, you could get a coating and a heatshield. The heatshield would then hide the flaky coating. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

G

Staff member
I've done the swaintech on a few vehicles and it's still going strong with no flaking or anything. Preparation is the key. The parts need to be outgassed.

JNR

Yeah like paint prep is key.

When you say outgas is that like argon purging when you weld (ie orbital where discoloration slag etc will fail the inspection)? does swaintech do this by default? still want to coat my fp and was. thinking of using those guys..hope soon

turbowop

Just like when you get a new paintjob, you can't wax it until the paint has fully cured and all the solvents and stuff in the paint evaporate out or "outgas".

I'm not sure how a manifold is outgassed. I assume they get it super hot. They're super porous though, so I'm betting you'd have to find a very reputable place to have it done successfully.

slugsgomoo

My recollection is that after a very thorough cleaning and bead blasting, cast materials should basically be heated to red hot & cooled slowly at least a couple times to ensure there's nothing left in the pores.

G

Staff member
^ Yup what he said, but swain does not offer this. You have to find a powder coater or similar business to do it for you before you send to swain. To be safe I would also check the head mating surface for straightness after outgassing.

JNR

Yeah, good point about flatness afterward. OK, that makes sense then on the procedure....wonder if they water or oil quench them then and if this is something you could do yourself with the proper equipment? just curious as a diy'er, although in reality I'd just send it out.

Here's a question then....would it make more sense to get a seasoned manifold ceramic coated rather than a new one? One that went thru several heating/cooling cycles; as far as long term durability is concerned if you don't get it outgassed.

cheekychimp

I can see your point there but the fact that it is 'seasoned' won't actually stop the heat cycling and expansion/contraction of the metal continuing if I am correct in assuming you mean that this could have something to do with the durability of the coatings.

I was told the opposite actually, that it was best to coat an unused manifold because it is so difficult to get everything out of one that is contaminated. I personally think it comes down largely to the quality of the coating. I mean FP coated brand new manifolds years ago and still had issues and they are not a fly by night outfit.

FFWD does a triple stage coating now where they coat inside the runners and then put a thermal insulating coat on the outside as a sort of undercoat before applying the final layer. I have yet to see/hear how well the layer on the inside holds up. It's supposed to be rated to 1800 for permanent use with short forays to 3000. IF it works it seems that doing this on a virgin manifold would be a good idea as it would seal the whole thing up. Without the inner coating I would think it was possible for contaminants to be introduced through the runners and then destabilize the outer coating.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Cheek you're not understanding what he meant. He is wondering if a used one is already outgassed. We are discussing the process of the impurities leaving the header, which is causing the flaking. Not the heat cycles.

cheekychimp

Oh I see! But I can't see that working. Would the exhaust gas temperatures be sufficient to do that and even so wouldn't you have to be very sure that there were absolutely no other contaminants (oil, coolant etc) coming into contact with the manifold during this 'seasoning' process?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned