The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FFWD "Triple Stage" FP coated manifold

SleepinGVR4

So I snagged a FP manifold when they were on sale a couple of months ago and decided to send it out to Darren at FFWD to have the "TRIPLE STAGE" coating done to it.

I know Paul wanted to see one done so here ya go.

I have to give it up to Darren the manifold looks awesome he got back to my emails promptly and was a super nice guy to deal with.

This is what the FP manifold is replacing... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

And can I reuse this 4-layer exhaust manifold gasket? Or should I just use the new 2-layer that the manifold came with?

Tre3zy

how much did it cost your to get the FP coated??? i might get mines coated

GSX_TC

On their site it says it costs 170 to have it coated.

I wonder if having a top mount tubular manifold triple coated like this, then heat wrapping it will still cause cracking? Email has been sent.

DynastyLCD

Quoting GSX_TC:
I wonder if having a top mount tubular manifold triple coated like this, then heat wrapping it will still cause cracking? Email has been sent.

Mike, i feel like its more or less in the construction of the manifold, and also if the setup is braced or not. local with a 10 sec 1g kept breaking his wastegate flange off, til he put a brace on the dump tube. i guess if you're looking into a JMF or a Shearer piece, you'd be in good shape. having everything else setup nicely, all other parts fab'd at the same time, and built correctly, you won't have issues. if you get nervous, have them fab some braces to go from the block to the heavier areas of the manifold (turbo flange, WG flange, o2 housing, downpipe, etc)

GSX_TC

Yep I was talking about a JMfab mani, so you really think it wouldn't crack with the triple coating and DEI titanium heat wrap?

G

Staff member
Sleepin, I've seen this coating before and it generally does not hold up very well. Usually not more than a few months before it starts peeling. Just a heads up.

boostin4door

I had a FP manifold before and it's a BadAss piece!!
Back before I went external Tial wg w/dump, I just had mine ceramic coated[Silver] locally at a PowderCoating shop and it held up fine over the years. No peeling at all.

engineshot-1.jpg

SleepinGVR4

Quoting G:
Sleepin, I've seen this coating before and it generally does not hold up very well. Usually not more than a few months before it starts peeling. Just a heads up.

All the manifolds I've seen that don't hold up to being coated are ones that were used and then coated. The manifolds that are coated when new seem to hold up a lot better.

JNR

At first when I glanced this thread, thought the FP manifold cracked and thought oh no (if it was an issue)...So, glad to see it wasn't, as I want to run mine soon.

As for cracking issues by coating and then wrapping, I would *think* there would be less chance of cracking, since it would have a slower rate of cooling. Then again, this is assuming the temps wouldn't get so hot (i.e. not enough dissipation) to cause issues, but they seem to be made pretty well, material and design-wise....Just too bad we can't coat the inside too.

GSX_TC

They claim to have a special way of coating the insides of manifolds even tubular ones, but don't wanna give out how. I might go this route, they even have a deal where if you send them your manifold, hot side of the turbo, and o/2 all at the same time they give you a hell of a deal.

EDIT: just spoke to Darren about the subject of triple coating then wrapping. Here's what he had to say

"Good question...with a good answer.  :)

Two problems with wrap.

One is the corrosion issues as it will accelerate with the use of the wrap
even if coated
Two it will trap so much heat it can actually lead to fatigue of the metal
and deterioration of the system.

We dropped our wrap over 10 years ago due to all the problems.

Hope that helps in your decision buddy!"

Last edited:

blacksheep

Glad I read the whole thread before I posted, I was going to same same thing Darren said about wrap.

I will say I had my S2000 manifold coated by Jet Hot and the finish was fantastic and it held up really well. It was only the 1200 degree coating. If I was to coat a turbo manifold, Swain Tech would get my money...

click

SleepinGVR4

Quoting JNR:
Just too bad we can't coat the inside too.

The "Triple Stage" has the inside runners coated. In the second picture you can see its almost a brown color.

Last edited:

SleepinGVR4

Quoting blacksheep:
If I was to coat a turbo manifold, Swain Tech would get my money...

click

After doing some research I decided FFWD was a better alternative to swaintech's white lightning. The white lightning coating is another one I saw flake off, it was in a thread on EVOM. But again they were used coated manifolds not a new coated one.

G

Staff member
Swain tech's coating is the best I have seen. Most of the time the coatings fail because of improper preparation. Being used is not a problem as long as all the rust is removed first. Also new or used the piece has to be outgassed. If the swaintech coating failed it's more than likely because of improper prep work. I doubt ffwd outgasses anything and I can't remember if swain offers that service because my last piece I sent in I had outgassed by a different company.

Also as far as wrapping, as long as you don't get the piece wet and it's properly prepped before coating you won't have to worry about corrosion.

Last edited:

ade

outgassed??? please elaborate.

pot

Staff member
Refers to a process by which trapped contaminants are removed, i.e. carbon, oil, etc. As the material heats up those contaminants rise to the surface and disrupt the coating. I would venture to guess one process of "Outgassing" amongst many would be to hot tank the part.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts