The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Found problem, don't know the solution...

gvr4ever

I haven't messed with my car for weeks, but I really need to get it up and running soon. No error codes, but I was playing around with disabling the injectors and I can hear a very obvious change, except on injector 4. I think it's pretty safe to say it isn't working at all, but what would be the cause?

What would prevent one injector from not working at all?

JNR

you replace those little "U" metal clips so the connector is seated properly?

rdomeck

I would swap it with another injector and see if the problem moves with the injector or stays with the wiring. Then you know what direction to go!

Barnes

I like rdomeck's suggestion for a start.

gvr4ever

Quoting JNR:
you replace those little "U" metal clips so the connector is seated properly?

I have not, but I can check and make sure one isn't bent or something.

Not sure that it matters, but CAS has been replaced.

JNR

EDIT - wait, for some reason I thought they were working before messing around with them, so the below info may not apply, unless they were until you unplugged them, etc.

I probably should've been more specific /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, but replace as in make sure they are put back on and/or the injector plug is pushed on all the way, or one of the terminals/wires didn't get broke...being it sounds like it worked fine before taking off and putting back on, I doubt one of the injectors went bad, but more than likely it's now not getting a signal...if it were a seal then it should still work, but you'd have a fuel leak.

Last edited:

turbowop

Is the car only running on three cylinders? What is the reason for disabling the injectors one at a time in the first place? What are the compression numbers?

gvr4ever

The car just stopped running right a few months ago. Figured it was something simple like spark. Replaced coil pack, plugs, wires, CAS. It just sounded like it was missing. Compression is okay, not great. Lowest is cyl 1 @125psi, but it's also been sitting for some time. I will want to run another test after getting a good drive in. I really suspect it will go higher once it's really warmed up.

I was disabling the injectors trying to figure out the problem. Without any error codes, it's kinda hard to figure out what is going on.

grocery_getter

With the key in the on position but engine not running, check to make sure there is 12+v present on one of the connector for the injector. If it is then get a noid light to plug into the injector harness and crank the engine and see if you see the noid light blipping on off. If it is then your wiring and everything behind it is good. You have a bad injector. If the noid light test fail but you have 12+v on one of the injector connector then it is either you have a discontinuity in the wiring on number 4 between injector and ecu or the ecu itself is not pulling ground on it when the engine is turning.

Noid light set from HF is only about $15. They have a small set with just 5 or 6 noid light each for different style of injector pins. I don't see it on the online HF but it is at the store. I paid around $10.99 for my set.

mooserage

Staff member
I think some places like O'Reilly's also let you rent the noid lights, but 15$ is worth having around... I like what Andre said to try, it really narrows it down for you.

gvr4ever

Update. It's been awhile, but I didn't really work on the car during that heat wave and I replaced a leaky radiator and had the alternator rebuilt. Anyway, tested the #4 injector with a noid light. It was flashing and the car runs EXACTLY the same with the injector unplugged as it does plugged in.

Are the EVO 560cc injectors prone to breaking?

I was going to send them off to Injector Rehab to get cleaned. Is their a better service that I should send them too?

Terry Posten

This is who I have used in the past. They are the best in the biz. Do this to eliminate this possibility.

click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned