The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

maf stalling problem

lancerglx

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gifhello people,my name is mark and im all the way over from malta........
I have this problem that i cant get rid of and having heaps of trouble with.
i have a 91 lancer with a vr4 engine conversion.Ive been getting heaps of help from a guy over at 4g61t.org but thought i might get some insight from you guys if possible.
Ive been getting a stall after the car is warmed to normal running temp once shifted into neutral.The car wont stall at all if its stopped and the engine is revved.
We checked for error codes and got error 25 (baromertric pressure sensor),anyway very long story short after a very cool guy on this forum supplied me with a replacent maf sensor all went well for about 2 months.
Now just recently i gave the car a slight thrash as opposed to my daily sunday drive to work and the thing started to play up again.
i havent checked for codes yet but prepared for the worst as its doing the same as before.
Does anyone have the faintest idea what would cause the maf to go bad that quick????!???
Its not a question to go down to the breakers for parts in malta as there are only about 3 of these engines in malta as far as i now apart from the non turbo elantra 1.6 engines that are similar or the 2.0 from the hyundai sonata here in malta .
Anyway if anyone has any ideas please post us a reply,it would be greatly apreciated. thanks again.

EfiniX

Welcome!

Do you have a 4g63t VR4 motor (2.0L), or a 4g61t lancer/colt/etc motor (1.6L)? I believe the MAF is different (as well as the ECU because of fuel maps, a/f, and so on).

here's a thread on how to test the 4g63t MAF. Not sure if it holds true for the 4g61t MAF.

click

Might be bad luck (used MAF just failed on you). Might be a bad computer (check your ECU for corrosion click ). Might be other weird stuff.

Start with pulling the code and let us know what you get.

lancerglx

Big thanks for your quick reply....engine is 4g63t off a jdm galant vr4.The ecu part no. Is MD 128618 (195 bhp)
My biggest problem is parts as i have to get them from the U.S because the galant wasnt imported here,so i have to be sure where the problem is before pufchasing

EfiniX

Well since it's throwing a MAF CEL, then you probably need a new MAF. I can't overstate the importance of following the link above and making sure your ECU capacitors aren't leaking. It's very common and can cause all sorts of problems. Not just will your car run poorly (or not at all). A failing ECU can fry sensors as well.

EfiniX

I think what AllenL is trying to say is that your ECU cannot be chipped or socketed for datalogging. It is, of course, still susceptible to the same corrosion issues. I believe you can drop a VR4 ECU in with very little trouble, but the question now becomes how far you want to take the car.

Either way, if your ECU is showing damage, you'll want to repair/replace it. If you do replace it and want an ECU you can chip/socket, search for VR4 EPROM ECU. If not, then you can still send your ECU to our friends at ECMLink and they will clean it up.

But first things first: Inspect it and let us know what you find!

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I would also look at the wiring to the MAF. Installing a new one may have resolved a loose or intermittent wiring issue, if only for a short time. As Prove it mentioned in another thread, the diagnostics are pretty primitive and only look for open/short circuits.

lancerglx

click
I ve tried uploading some pics of my ecu boards....theyre not too clear but anyway.
they look free from leaks and looks pretty clean as far as i can see but im no expert for sure!!!!!!
If i were to replace the ecu with another type like say MD165808 - J-Spec Single Board. Eprom - 240hp would it be just plug and play or not???
I know my ecu is
MD128618 - J-Spec Dual Board. Eprom/Non Eprom - 195hp
Does anyone have an idea where i should start.......i checked the fault codes again its thrown the same one as before (25 barometric pressure sensor)
I also looked at ecmtuning site and it staes they have developed a non eprom conversion as well.
thanks for the replies any any idea welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

AllanL

5808 will work, but you have to swap ECU pin6 and 14 on the biggest connector among the three ECU plugs...

have you tried to check the wiring yet? a simple continuity check fromt he MAF to the ECU will tell if it is a sensor, wiring or ECU issue...

are you having erratic idle or idle surge?

lancerglx

No eratic idlling or idle surge,it does have hi idle sometimes when its at normal running temp,mainly when you shut the engine down and ztart after a shortt period of time but not always.ive replaced the tb and isc tps annd iss.also replaced the biss screw and o ring.
Sprayed some brake cleaner on all pipes and clamps and there seems to be no leaks.
The previous senser lasted the same amount of time.. about 6 weeks.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned